Northgate Street in 1960 looking south toward the corner of Worcester Street with St. Johns Tower in the background. On the left of the picture is the former Theatre de Luxe still standing after a fire in 1939.
Below is Suffolk House in Greyfriars. As we can see the building is in the process of being demolished to make way for the indoor market. It was an elegant house and during the Second World War was used by the Ministry of Food. In the foreground we can just make out the Greyfriars bowling green. This green was laid in 1921, but sadly that’s gone too.
Who remembers the Tredworth Road Walking Race? This was much harder than running and large rowds attended. This picture was taken in 1967 when an estimated crowed of 2,000 watched Nathan Price cross the finishing line.