Southgate Street Gloucester, was created in the 10th century to give access to the south gate which led to the main route to Bristol. It was often called Great South Gate due to its importance as a trading area.
See also Marcus Nerva
Right on the cross you will see Bakers the Jewellers . Above the shop is a wonderful old striking clock with figures . It has 5 striking Jacks representing England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales together with Old Father Time. The author can remember his grandfather ( W.Knight ) painting these figures many years ago.
A few yards along the road is St. Mary De Crypt . A fine old church. The earliest recorded church on this site was around 1140 and known as the Church of the blessed Mary.The present Church is well worth a visit.
The fifteenth century nave contains an early renaissance style pulpit from which George Whitfield preached his first sermon in 1736.In the north transept are 16th century brasses to Alderman John Cooke and his wife, founders of the Crypt School.
An alley leads to Blackfriars which dates from 1270 .Mostly in ruins there are never the less still many interesting and rare features/
The Old Bell Inn has been recently re-opened with new management. Well worth a visit just to look at the wonderful old fire surround and a good place for a lunch, right in the centre of Gloucester.
Robert Raikes, famous for starting the first Sunday School lived at 38 Southgate St. This is a fine timbered 16th century building and the upper part ( the lower stories are now modern shops ) are still visible from the street .
St. Mary De Crypt church is also in Southgate Street is now a pleasant spot to sit
Almost opposite the church is Longsmith Street. The name refers to one of Gloucester’s most important industries during medieval times .The tourist information Centre is now on the corner.
On the right opposite the old Gloucester Royal Hospital site are the gates to Gloucester docks.The old hospital has been demolished and office buildings take their place.