Gloucester in The 1950s/60s page6

The old Gloucester Royal Hospital,Southgate St.This building was built in 1755 from a design by Luke Singleton and was financed by gifts and legacies. The timbers were donated by King George II and came from The Forest of Dean.

Gloucester Royal Hospital

Back view of the Royal.The hospital closed in 1975 and, for reasons better known to the city fathers, was demolished in 1984.

Strictly speaking this picture shouldn’t be here as it was taken in 1984.It shows the demolition of the old Royal.Pure vandalism!

More >>