Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eddie

Toad in the Hole

24 posts in this topic

On Friday Vanda popped into Stanmans Kitchen and bought some lovely old spot pig sausages. She was going to cook sausage and chips, but I fancied something a bit nicer. I was then told to cook it if I was going to be fussy, so I did. It was wonderful

post-2-0-33721500-1320069290_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-98641600-1320069302_thumb.jpg

Vanda likes this

It was lovely. Serves me right for telling Eddie to cook it himself! I must leave the cookery book out for him more often :tounge2:

looks good sausages ok were they ??

Sausages were wonderful. Bought from Stanmans and produced by Nicks butcher in Gloucester

Nicks butcher ???

Nicks butcher ???

In longlevens

thanks will have to visit

since i left england in 1971 i haven't found a decent sausage,i bought some the other day they were labelled "english pork sausages"i don't think so,they were awful but i'm glad you both enjoyed yours

It is difficult even here in the UK to find decent sausages. Some of the main brand ones are horrible and I doubt contain much meat. We tend to buy off local Butchers to get the quality and taste.

Tesco finest range ai't bad 80% meat

i have had the sausages /lamb /and pork all great

My mouth is just watering like crazy listening to all the talk about sausages. I like angelsmum cannot find a decent sausage here (in Canada). They sell "English Style" sausages but the taste is bland and the amount of fat that comes out during cooking .....YUCK.

Peter aka Dennisthemenace

That's okay Vanda, I've gotten use to missing out on some of the grub I used to get when we lived in Gloucester. My family prepares for my visits with all kinds of fare that I liked as a kid .....Fry-up with oyster cut bacon NOT the streaky stuff that they call bacon over here, fried bread, fried tomatos, sauages, and Black pudding.... I know your arteries are hardening as I type this, but boy does it taste good and its only once in a while. I also have my Lardy Cakes. if I can get cockles then that is a big plus ... I can remember getting them in the old market for a tanner (small doll sized plate (yummy) The biggest treat that I am unable to get here in Canada is ....Elvers my dad and granddad used to go to wainlodes to get them each season and now I hear that people fight over where to fish for them as they are big business in the Far East.... Dad and Granddad used to sell them to make beer money...How times have changed.

Peter aka Dennisthemenace

Ever thought of making your own sausages? I had an attachment for a Kenwood Mixer once, although I have to say I don't know where it is now. If there is a Lakeland nearby or via their web site, they were selling a sausage making kit recently.

The sausages I made were the type we used to get in South Africa, I managed to get a recipe and they were great. I found a Butchers in Southgate Street as far as I can remember (before I had the attachment). I bought the meat from him and he made the sausages for me after I had minced it and added spices etc. Only problem I had (on the phone) was convincing him it wasn't a wind up when I told him my surname, "Butcher". I gave him some of the sausage to try and the recipe, he said he couldn't make them as they would be too expensive to sell, also as they were 100% meat they couldn't be called sausages!

Doughnut, I have tried making my own. My Ex-Mother in Law was Italian and made lots on wonderful Italian sweetmeats such as Salami, Pepperoni, Hot Sausage( I can't remember what she called it , but it had a kick to it). She tried to make English Style Sausages but they ended up Italian Sausages with garlic/red pepper flakes/oregano and parsley in them. It was like eating a meatball in a sausage casing. Also the casings were very expensive to buy and easy to rip if you didn't know what you were doing....(Like myself).

Peter aka dennisthemenace

All this talk about food is making my mouth water and bringing back memories of eating in the UK.

There is no comparison with the streaky bacon, my mother would not buy it, that we get in USA with the UK short back. Full English breakfasts, Luverly.

What happened to Black Pudding? The last time I visited it was horrible, dry and powdery. Brawn! does that exist any more? Mother made it.

Keep this thread going, I love it.

PJay

I like Black Pudding too but don't eat it that often. I suppose it's like anything there are good and not so good Black Puddings.

You can still buy Brawn but it is something that I haven't tried for a long time. It's just the thought which puts me off.

When I was a little girl I used to eat all sorts of things like cod roe, whole spratts which were lovely fried until they were all crispy but again I haven't eaten them for a long time.

Chitterlings and pigs trotters were also things that I used to eat but alas no more. I could think of nothing worse than knawing on a pigs trotter - eek.