Kay Powell

Aled the Tooth is dead

10 posts in this topic

I was shocked today to buy my Citizen and read that my lovely dentist, Aled Jenkins, had been killed on Sunday. He was out riding his Harley Davidson near Pershore, Worcestershire, when apparently he lost control and fell under a car at about 4pm (according to The Citizen, anyway).

Aled was the best dentist I've come across. He was originally from Wales, and once told me that his email address was Aledthetooth.

He had an NHS practice in Coney Hill around 1990, which is when I came across him. He did really good work, so I stayed with him when he went into private practice a few years later. He had his surgery in Grafton Road, Longlevens, and shared the building with a self-employed dental technician, who made up all of Aled's crowns, inlays, dentures, etc.

Aled will be sadly missed by all of his friends, family and patients.

So sad but fits in with statistics. So many middle aged/older men, having some disposable income are buying bikes and later being involved in fatal accidents. As someone who rides and who has been involved in the bike world for years, we have seen too many end like this. So sad!

Apparently, he'd always been a biker, but bought more and better motorbikes when his disposable income increased. He always commuted to work by motorbike, although not the Harley Davidson that he was riding when he was killed.

I hope you find out what it's like to lose somebody close to you "doughnut" perhaps then you might realise how hurtful your comment actually was to somebody so close to him, he was my dad and I find him being likened to statistics downright insensitive, you didn't know him so how dare you make such a sweeping generalisation about his lifestyle and comment on his "disposable income". I can confirm he had always been a biker, he was NOT a "middle aged/ older man" who suddenly got a bit of money and decided to buy a couple of bikes. He worked bloody hard for what he had and he was a fantastic rider who was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Before you comment on such a post again I suggest that you think of the audience first before you write. 

Eira, I am sorry for your loss. It sounds as though your Dad was a great person. Not to speak for him, but I feel sure Doughnut meant no offence.

Ofcourse, my mistake, saying "how sad" instantly makes his insensitive comment ok. Just put yourself in my shoes for a second, would you really want to read something like that about someone you love? I'm sure there was no offence meant but a little more consideration needs to be taken when commenting on such a sensitive issue.

He would be devastated to hear he had caused offence.

I started this thread as a tribute to a wonderful dentist, and I'm so sorry that somehow it has caused upset. Doughnut did point out that he had been involved in the biking world for years, so I expect that he was thinking of other bikers who have come to harm while riding. 

Eddie likes this

Rarely I feel the need to comment on posts like this, but would like to share my thoughts. Aled Jenkins was my dentist too, living in Longlevens at the time I went to him as an emergency as I was in so much pain. I had visited a dentist probably twice in 20 years due to my hatred of 'the needle' or 'the drill'...I was petrified by them, brought on by a careless dentist cutting my top lip badly as a teenager.

I needed to have extensive work 'done' as it turned out, 5 teeth extracted and dentures made. It was safe to say I nearly passed out at the thought of this but Aled was nothing short of incredible at settling and reassuring me throughout the process.

For over 18 months I was in and out of Aleds' practice gradually having the work I needed doing done and I have him & his dental technician to thank for giving me back my smile which I had consciously subdued for many years due to the 'state' of my teeth.

Not to labour on 'Doughnut's comment too much, as it was an all to common blanket 'spectator' post from someone who had no connection to the subject matter or more importantly person involved. I just thought I'd add some 'mitigating' information here. Aled became as much a friend as a dentist during my time as a 'customer' and after chatting with him many times, I can tell you, his passion for motorbikes & it's culture was lifelong, not arriving in 'middle age' just because he had a 'few spare bob'. I think at last count when we had talked, hesitant to seem boastful in any way, he said he had around 50 bikes!

'Ayra'. One of the conversations we had was about was when he asked if I had any children (at the time I said no) as he said it was paramount you instil good practice and habit in cleaning teeth early on, so we both laughed when I said I'd bear that in mind for the future! I asked if he had any children of his own and he said he had a little girl called Eira, I said as in 'A-Y-R-A?' to which he corrected me, when I said that was a beautiful name, he beemed and said she was every bit as beautiful & had 'changed his life'.

Fast forward to 2017, I have a great dentist now who I credit with Aled helping give me back that confidence to go regularly. I also have a little boy of my own and will be sure to follow the advice he gave me.

Not just an incredible dentist, but such a great bloke, I still think about my experiences often and was sad I never actually got to really say thank you properly to Aled for what he had done for me.