Eddie

Gloucester Tall ships contest entries

46 posts in this topic

Cool - I know which are my top two, but only after a fair bit of flicking between different ones as they are all really very good.

Good luck to everyone who entered!

.....Judging in process.......

Some really good entries, this is going to take a while. Watch this space. :-)

The winners will be announced on Monday. Final decisions are taking place over the weekend

Sorry we are late. We have chosen the winners and I'll be posting it here later today

2011 Gloucester Tall Ship Festival Photography Contest

Written by: Tamara Kwan of TammyLynn Photography

Judged by:

Eddie & Vanda of SoftData

Damon of Damon Cannard Photography

Tammy of TammyLynn Photography

The Prizes:

*HP CN245B Photosmart Wireless e-all-in-one printer – from SoftData

*15” x 20” A2 box canvas print of your winning photo worth £69.99 – From Damon Cannard Photography

*Two hour private workshop of your choice worth £50. (Camera, photography or post processing) – From TammyLynn Photography

*Two hour studio hire at The London Road Studio in Gloucester worth £50. – From The London Road Studio

The Winners get to choose their prize! The First Place winner goes first, choosing his/her prize from the list above. The Second Place winner goes second choosing his/her prize from the remaining three prizes...and so on.

First Place goes to:

Fuzzy Reflections by Mike Broome

Comments from Judges:

Damon Cannard: This one is full of vibrancy, colour, and shows the docks and ships off at their best. It's nicely composed too.

Tamara Kwan: Lovely night time view of Gloucester Docks. Love the colour and reflections in this. If you don’t look too closely it’s like looking back through time. J

Second Place goes to:

Un-named by Chris Nash

Comments from Judges:

Damon Cannard: This one is right up there for me, I love it, the composure is spot on with the masts converging in on each other, and that graduating sky behind is stunning. This is definitely wall art.

Tamara Kwan: I really love the colours here and the detail of the silhouettes of the masts. I’d hang this on my wall.

Third Place goes to:

Un-named by GFC

Comments from judges:

Damon Cannard: This is the one that first caught my attention in the thumbnails, I think the sepia suits it, and the reflections are great. I like the ship almost silhouetted against the dock buildings.

Tamara Kwan: Another well done night time shot at the docks. Love the processing here, almost feels like you’ve gone back in time....until you look closer that is. J

Forth Place goes to:

Un-named by Liz Fraser

Comments from Judges:

Tamara Kwan: This image stood out for me for a number of reasons. The view. The detail. The textures. The Black & White processing. I love that I can’t easily spot anything modern in this photo. I love how it pulls me in and makes me want to look over the bow of the ship. It gives me a sense of adventure. I like this. J

I'll add the images to this post later

Just wanted to see if I could post it with the photos. Thought it would be nicer if people could see the images that won. The answer is no, it won't let me.

I'd like to leave some comments on the other images as I was really impressed by quite a few of them. I'll try to make time to do that in the next day or so.

Thank you to all who participated. Some truly lovely images in this thread.

Tammy

One more try to post the winning images.

2011 Gloucester Tall Ship Festival Photography Contest

Written by: Tamara Kwan of TammyLynn Photography

Judged by:

Eddie & Vanda of SoftData

Damon of Damon Cannard Photography

Tammy of TammyLynn Photography

The Prizes:

*HP CN245B Photosmart Wireless e-all-in-one printer – from SoftData

*15” x 20” A2 box canvas print of your winning photo worth £69.99 – From Damon Cannard Photography

*Two hour private workshop of your choice worth £50. (Camera, photography or post processing) – From TammyLynn Photography

*Two hour studio hire at The London Road Studio in Gloucester worth £50. – From The London Road Studio

The Winners get to choose their prize! The First Place winner goes first, choosing his/her prize from the list above. The Second Place winner goes second choosing his/her prize from the remaining three prizes...and so on.

First Place goes to:

Fuzzy Reflections by Mike Broome

1.jpg

Comments from Judges:

Damon Cannard: This one is full of vibrancy, colour, and shows the docks and ships off at their best. It's nicely composed too.

Tamara Kwan: Lovely night time view of Gloucester Docks. Love the colour and reflections in this. If you don’t look too closely it’s like looking back through time. J

Second Place goes too:

Un-named by Chris Nash

2.jpg

Comments from Judges:

Damon Cannard: This one is right up there for me, I love it, the composure is spot on with the masts converging in on each other, and that graduating sky behind is stunning. This is definitely wall art.

Tamara Kwan: I really love the colours here and the detail of the silhouettes of the masts. I’d hang this on my wall. J

Third Place goes too:

Un-named by GFC

3.jpg

Comments from judges:

Damon Cannard: This is the one that first caught my attention in the thumbnails, I think the sepia suits it, and the reflections are great. I like the ship almost silhouetted against the dock buildings.

Tamara Kwan: Another well done night time shot at the docks. Love the processing here, almost feels like you’ve gone back in time....until you look closer that is. J

Forth Place goes too:

Un-named by Liz Fraser

4.jpg

Comments from Judges:

Tamara Kwan: This image stood out for me for a number of reasons. The view. The detail. The textures. The Black & White processing. I love that I can’t easily spot anything modern in this photo. I love how it pulls me in and makes me want to look over the bow of the ship. It gives me a sense of adventure. I like this. J

Congratulations to the winners !

Hard luck to those that weren't picked, you all took fantastic photos of a great event, and should all be proud of yourselves. :)

All the best

Damon

Damon Cannard Photography

(www.damoncannard.com)

Our first prize winner has chosen the 15" x 20" A2 box canvas print from Damon Cannard Photography

He says:

This is the first photo competition that I have won, and it is very pleasing to think that the judges liked my photo and considered it worthy of being placed first, from amongst the other excellent photos that were submitted. I would like to pass on my thanks to them and also congradulations to the other winners..

That's wonderful, thank you! This is the first competition I've ever entered and i'm dead chuffed with coming second! Thanks to all of the judges for taking the time to look at all the entries, there were some really fantastic photos! Well done to everyone who took the effort to go out capture the festival.

I see Mike has chosen the A2 print, so I think I would to choose the 2 hour hire of the studio as my prize please.

Thanks

A very happy Chris

Thank you very much, and congratulations to everyone else. When I saw the other photos, I thought I had no chance, but I thought it would be fun to enter anyway.

Thank you for taking the time to organise this competition too. It was a great way to showcase a very unique event for Gloucester.

I think it's my turn to choose a prize, so can I go for the printer please?

Thanks

Reyaz

Hi Reyaz

Yes of course. You can pick it up from our Westgate Office, or if you email me with your address, I'll post it to you

That leaves Two hour private workshop of your choice worth £50. (Camera, photography or post processing) – From TammyLynn Photography which goes to Liz Fraser

Looking forward to hearing from Chris and Liz. :-)

Congratulations again everyone! x

Congratulations to the winners. Well done to everyone who took part, must've been a tough one to judge. :woot_jum:

Mikes canvas has now been ordered ! Very much looking forward to seeing it printed when it arrives :).

Damon

(www.damoncannard.com)

post-2-0-52504000-1317042332_thumb.jpeg

To anyone wondering....

This is Mike Broome, winner of the Tall Ships Photo Contest holding his prize, a canvas of his winning photo, that I delivered to him today.

Congratulations Mike ! Looked great on canvas :).

Damon

(www.damoncannard.com)

Congratulations