Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vanda

Community group hope to save Tuffley Library

5 posts in this topic

A RESIDENTS' group could be about to step in and save Tuffley Library.

The Three Bridges Community Partnership will meet officers from Gloucestershire County Council next week to discuss a way forward for the site, which is in Windsor Drive.

The council is slashing services to save £108 million pounds over the next four years and some libraries, including Tuffley, are facing closure if communities do not take them on.

A public meeting will be held at the Tuffley Community Centre, in Windsor Drive, on Friday March 25, to thrash out ideas to preserve the facility.

Three Bridges' chairman Steve O'Connor has invited officers to attend to take questions from residents and outline what is available to keep the service running.

He said: "This will give an opportunity for volunteers to get involved and form a committee.

"The partnership believes, following discussion with the county council, the library can be saved provided the residents are committed to helping towards keeping this important service running."

The offer to take over their running is part of the council's 'Big Community Offer'.

Mr O'Connor added that ideas are already being formulated regarding ways to save the library.

He said: "We will offer some financial support and set up a charitable trust.

"There will be training setup in order to ensure a smooth transition. This will give residents a real opportunity to support their community."

A spokesman for Gloucestershire County Council said: "We believe that services work best when they're provided at the most local level and that's what the Big Community Offer is all about.

"This concept has been tried and tested in places like Buckinghamshire, where a scheme similar to ours is already up and running and is very successful."

Support to keep the library open has been fierce and last month a petition containing more than 500 signatures in protest at the council's proposal to hand Tuffley Library to community ownership, was given to council officials.

It was handed in by Sarah Howard, 41, a library user who lives in Bodiam Avenue.

She said: "If it becomes a community facility it may close or become a third-rate service.

"Tuffley is quite deprived. There is not a lot to do so to lose our library would be quite a loss."

tig

I'm from Tuffley and i don't even go to the tuffley library even as it's close to me, I prefer to go to the one in Gloucester as it's got more books etc, Who cares if it closes or not?

I'm from Tuffley and i don't even go to the tuffley library even as it's close to me, I prefer to go to the one in Gloucester as it's got more books etc, Who cares if it closes or not?

Local school children. Many of them don't have access to a computer at home, either to do homework or to play video games like their friends do. Tuffley Library serves an area that is in the 10% most deprived in the county (according to the Government's Indices of Multiple Deprivation).

Clearly quite a few people care, otherwise they wouldn't be meeting with Council officers :wallbash:

I care.