Eddie

John Tocknell ( Orion ) RIP

72 posts in this topic

I am so sorry to have to tell you all that John, who posted here as Orion has died. Doughnut phoned me not long ago to tell me the bad news.

As well as being a personal friend, John ran the Old Gloucester site, and was a stalwart supporter of the city of Gloucester. He will be very much missed.

sorry to hear that news

Very sad to hear this news about John. He will be greatly missed by many.

Such sad news. Yes, he will be missed.

I'll say more when I hear more but I have had some shocks in the past but the passing of John hit me so hard. Val got me on my mobile while I was in a meeting in Weymouth. I just needed to tell someone and knew that Eddie would be able to post a message on here, where John had so many friends. I'm coming through tonight to see Val and will keep you guys in touch. John hadn't been well over weekend, he said it was indigestion. This morning not good again and was laying down on settee when Val went shopping. When she came back she thought he was asleep so got a blanket for him. Lunch time, tried to wake him and realized he was dead.

Maybe now is the time for explanations. John didn't get out and about too much and you folk became very much his circle of friends. He suffered with agoraphobia which worsened in later years. - Now I suppose is the time for honesty, I moved to Gloucester in 1979 as the minister of the Elim Church opposite the Parkend. John was one of those folk who was a great help and who became my caretaker at the church. Anyone who knows me might see some similarity (not quite in size) between me and John as the Vicar of Dibley and Tinker the verger. I think we didn't have to try too hard to be "normal" and just enjoy life as "fun". We installed a peculator and used to make fantastic coffee and doughnuts, drippers and honey buns from Sparkes.

There are too many good stories to tell, which even now when I'm feeling knocked sideways, still make me smile. When I left Gloucester, John who was a self taught genius at so many things, got me on the board and we started our life as Doughnut and Orion. In those days we had many adventures and it show once again to me just how talented he was as a writer. We would laugh and laugh on the phone while writing those threads. Visiting Valerie in America was one of the best, he was the brains behind them all. - Oh and perhaps the best secret of all, (Nobby quizzed me to find out if I was Rock 'n Roll). Well no Nobby, once again he, the matron, Gertrude and Daisy were all his invention.

John's gone, the perisher. We had decided we would have our own personal bench in Gloucester Park and sit there and moan all day about youngsters. I'll let you know any further news

Thank you Mr D , He will be Missed on here and By Me Never Met him but have chatted on here a few times

Please do keep us up to date David. John was a marvelous character, that I met too few times.

Hi

Not sure what to say - hasn't sunk in yet. A friend of mine rang short while ago with the news.

I knew John from Church too. He started programming on the good old ZX80? He also made a couple of (animation?) films with his brother, using models they made themselves. Was told only few weeks ago that they were thinking of remastering them.

My best wishes go to his family, friends and those who knew him well.

Thanks

Paul Harries

I'm sorry to hear the sad news about Johns death, although we'd never met, we corresponded every now and then, when I sent him some pictures to the 'Old Gloucester' site, which he put up on display and a few emails were sent back and forth and we swapped some knowledge with each other, regards the old photos.

He was one of the first to have created a website featuring photos of 'Old Gloucester' for everyone to enjoy, with the help of Eddie, without whose invaluable help and expertise, probably wouldn't have existed in its present form.

Of those of us that knew John, If only through his banter on these boards, he will be sorely missed.

My thoughts go out to his family and friends at this very sad time for them.

G-B

Sad news indeed.

This place will be all the quieter without him.

My thought's are with his friends and family. :(

I'm so sorry to hear this, I'll miss him around the boards. Thoughts are with his family and friends. x

This is sad news indeed. I only knew John as Orion and only from talking (and arguing) with him on these boards, but he'll be missed.

My sympathies go to his friends and family.

As said Orion and as we now know all of the caricators will be sadly missed our sympathies to his family and friend's........ stuart jay rip

That is awful news. Please pass on my love to his family. We were e-mailing each other just last week, such a nice bloke. I am shocked!

A sad day indeed. As others, I only knew him as Orion on these boards. RIP.

John you will be missed by all of us on this site ,

we have all shared a laugh or two with you along the road

You gave us great Pictures and Memories on the old Gloucester Board

and you seemed a man full of information on Gloucester

I never got to meet you myself but you helped me out a few time through theses boards

I thank you for being a pal on here ,And will miss not having you here

John (orion) Rest In Peace Pal

I Am So Very Sorry To hear This Sad News. RIP John. Love Lyn xx

What a shock, I am so very sorry to hear this. He will be very much missed. Unfortunately I never had the pleasure of meeting him in person but corresponded with him on a number of things via these boards and on some other sites. RIP indeed John.

Provisional date for the funeral is 7th. December, early afternoon. That has to be confirmed because John hadn't seen a doctor (they think) for 15 years, so there has to be a PM. Full details asap. If it is the 7th. it would have been John's birthday.

I was so saddened to hear of John's passing, we met on rare occasions over the last 30 years way back in the CB days, I meant to catch up with him again in more recent times, and I always shared his love for old photographs of the Gloucester area. I do hope his site is kept alive as a tribute to what a great man he was.

My deepest sympathy's to Val and the rest of the family. God Bless.

I will be keeping his site going Whacker