Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eddie

Bodiam Avenue building

8 posts in this topic

As work begins to erect 171 houses on a flooding hotspot in Tuffley, there has already been a scare.

The initial stages of development have taken place in Bodiam Avenue, an area devastated by the 2007 floods.

Fencing has now gone up around the site and the area has been flattened in preparation for building work being led by the developers, Bovis Homes.

However, following rain at the weekend pools of water were found to be gathering on the flattened ground, prompting fears among residents.

Alan McKay, who lives in Bodiam Avenue, said: “It was interesting to see that some pools of water had gathered there already and they haven’t even started building yet.

“This place was hit hard by the floods and I still can’t believe this is going ahead.”

Planning permission was first applied for in 2001, and over the years it had been refused several times.

Bovis Homes appealed to central government after Gloucester City Council’s planning committee failed to make a decision on the application.

A planning inspector finally granted approval in January this year.

Mr McKay, who was an active campaigner in fighting the application, is still concerned that no flood alleviation scheme has been put forward by the Environment Agency (EA) for the development.

He said: “I believed this was supposed to have happened before any filling in of the flood plain went ahead to prevent existing properties in Bodiam and Charlecote flooding should we have a repeat of the 2007 flooding.

“If this now goes ahead, as seems to be, we will have a new development 800mm higher than the existing floodplain with no proper EA flood alleviation scheme in existence.”

Bovis has sent a letter to residents in the area, saying it would start digging deep foundations on the site from May 10 onwards.

Ruth McDonagh, a spokeswoman for Bovis Homes, said: “So far the only work we have undertaken is a 'site strip', which involves removing the top soil from the site. The rest of the ground on phase two of the new site is unchanged and, as with any land subject to heavy showers of rain, it can lead to temporary water pools. This should not be taken as a sign the site will flood.

TIG

I'm not an expert on land drainage, but I think I would have to say, "If you believe that, you will believe anything."

At the heart of Sheffield there is a canal. It was dirty and run down when we lived in that area. Now it is spruced up and the new development was built some height higher than it had ever flooded in the past. Hey, guess what? Those very desirable ground floor flats were all flooded in the last big flood, to over 1 metre deep!

The Bodiam Avenue site is fairly close the railway and the Daniels Brook separates Kingsway (built on the former RAF Quedgeley) from Grange. The stream builds up on the Brookthorpe side of the railway culvert and continuously feeds the stream on the Grange side even when the weather has subsided. The land is lower on the Grange & Kingsway side of the railway culvert and the stream is separated into two channels, one a relief channel. However fairly often the stream backs up all along the back of the Grange estate and floods.

The Environment Agency are supposed to be building an attenuation pond on the Brookthorpe side of the culvert. Assuming that the throughput is reasonable on the Grange side of the culvert this would solve the problem of the flash flooding. However I think the issue is that the stream and it's relief channel still cannot cope with the volume of water. The attenuation pond could actually make that worse unless carefully designed.

Certainly the building of more houses right on the banks of the brook is foolish. I think they should leave a decent strip of meadowland between the brook and the Kingsway estate.

If this building work should foolishly go ahead, I think Ruth McDonagh from Bovis Homes should live there.

Bovis are only in it for the money and couldn't care one way or the other if it floods.

It's a simple equation really... Land with planning permission for building on, pushes up the value literally by 1,000's of £££££'s irrespective of flood plains and house buyers that buy them on flood plains, are left to foot the bill, along with taxpayers cash. No doubt MP's and councilors maybe also pocketing a few backhanders for allowing building on flood plains to go through ?

It's a simple equation really... Land with planning permission for building on, pushes up the value literally by 1,000's of £££££'s irrespective of flood plains and house buyers that buy them on flood plains, are left to foot the bill, along with taxpayers cash. No doubt MP's and councilors maybe also pocketing a few backhanders for allowing building on flood plains to go through ?

I think that it was a planning inspector who found in favour of Bovis Homes after the city council had failed to grant permission. I blame the Environment Agency, which insisted that the new homes wouldn't cause flooding for the older homes that are built at a lower level.

Yes I agree with you there Kay. The EA has a good deal to answer for, and I think they should be held to account when the inevitable flooding occurs.

Hi all, sorry a bit of an old article but very relevant to me it seems.

I am looking to possibly purchase a property in the area but very concerned about flooding. This article in paticular talks about Daniels Brook the attenuation pond and new houses being built by Bovis.
The house we are looking at is built looking over the attenuation pond along side Daniels Brook with Bodiam Avenue behind that. The house is on RuarDean Drive if this helps Ive no idea if this is a Bovis home I think it was first sold in 2013 so sounds like the building works all tally up with possibly being a bovis home.
Any help, info would be so much appreciated as a huge thing moving house, you always need to do your research, with this location more than ever.

Thankyou everyone :)