GRACELAND

Gloucester during the war WW2

52 posts in this topic

On 3/7/2017 at 9:29 PM, Aaron Matthews said:

Hello everyone, 

I am one of the founding members for the Gloucester Railway Carriage and Wagon Museum and I am interested in finding out more information regarding GRC&W during WWII, I understand Queen Mary visited GRC&W twice during the war and the company manufactured Churchill tanks as well as rolling stock and many other items during the war, but, as well as all of this I am interested in the social history side of the company too and I am aiming to collect information regarding GRC&W throughout its history. 

At the moment I am doing some research as mentioned above on GRC&W during WWII and I was wondering if anyone knows any information regarding GRC&W during WWII including did any bombs hit the Works or surrounding areas, and is there anyone still alive who lived through the war and had a family member or connection with GRC&W? 

I look forward to hearing from anyone who would be able to help me, I am also interested in hearing from anyone who worked at or any family member of any cornerback employees of the Wagon Works. 

I am hoping to write a research paper/book on this subject for sale/use in the museum and for anyone interested. 

I look forward to hearing from anyone.

with kindest regards, 

Aaron

Saw a reference to the tanks produced at the Wagon Works:

Rudge Hill was the testing ground for the Churchill tanks, which were built at the wagon works in Gloucester. They travelled by their own power from Gloucester on the main roads. A large hanger was built as a repair shop. Only the base remains today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/10/a4427110.shtml

It seems an unlikely journey; can you shed any light on this?

Hello Tim50stroud,

My name is Aaron, I am the gentleman who posted the original post you quoted, would that be Rudge Hill, Stroud now known as Rudge Hill House, Edge, Stroud? 

If so, I have been researching GRC&W for about 3 years now and being a founding member of the Gloucester Railway Carriage and Wagon Museum and newly reborn Gloucester Railway Carriage and Wagon Company Limited it is something I enjoy researching. I have just had a quick and brief look at maps and it looks like they may have well taken the A4713/Stroud Road through Tuffley, Whaddon and Brookthorpe direct to the location, this route may well be covered in hills, etc. on route but during the war they did what has to be done and this route seems the most direct route on the maps and even on the maps from 1945. 

I do hope this helps. 

With kindest regards, 

Aaron