Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sazzle

Milton Avenue Playground

2 posts in this topic

I took my children to Milton Avenue playground in Podsmead about a month ago to find that it has been fenced up so that nobody can use it. There were posters up saying that it was due to be refurbished which is great as both of the play areas in Podsmead are very old and don't have a lot of equipment. The one on Scott Avenue has only 2 swings and a really tatty climbing frame. (I don't know why they don't refurbish this one as it's what people see when they come into Podsmead.)

I've just called the council to see when it's due to be re-opened only to hear that work hasn't even started yet! I can't believe that the council would close this playground all over the Easter school holidays when work isn't even close to being started.

The lady I spoke to said that there was a national shortage of play surfacing which could be affecting the contractors starting work but she said that a ball park date for re-opening it would be at least the end of June as they have to lay turf which can't be walked on for a certain amount of time.

In the meantime I'm crossing Cole Avenue with a 5 year old, a two year old and a 5 month old baby so that we can use the playground at Holmleigh.

Fair enough that there are logistical reasons for the delays but why did they close the playground before they had everything in place?

Why couldn't they do what they did to the one in Holmleigh by Beaufort, they just bits of it down gradually and repalced the old stuff with the new stuff.