GRACELAND

Clapham !!

199 posts in this topic

Tump is the Gloucestershire word for a barrow or burial mound

See Hetty Peglers tump near dursley

I have searched the web for information on the CLAPHAM area of Gloucester !

And could not find any thing !! :angry:

So would it not be great to start on here ??

Clapham was an area of Gloster where most of my ancestors lived !

I did not know it as i was born after it was demolished ! :o

So would it not be good if any of you out there put your memories here

of old clapham before its too late !!

I for one would love too read them !

Also if ok with the site some pictures ?

Well its worth a try :)

Hi there.

Good to see something about Clapham and the Kingsholm area. Have begun digging around whilst sorting out the family tree and would love to know anything anyone can tell me about my ancestors who also lived there. ( The Heath's) . I

have gone back to 1600 but all these names on a piece of paper would mean so much more wth a story or two or a picture. Would love to have quite a comprehensive tree to be able to give to my Dad next year on his 70th birthday.

Many Thanks

Debbie.

Many Thanks

I am related to the Heath family. My uncle Ted Heath was a feeman of Gloucester.

I am related to the Heath family. My uncle Ted Heath was a feeman of Gloucester.

Hi Eddie. Thanks for your reply. My name is Heath too. Your Uncle Ted must have been my grandfather's cousin. He was William Edward Heath and lived inSt Mark's Street when I was a child. Have many happy memories of visiting him and Gran there. She was Edith Emily Trenfield but have little information on her family at all. She was born in 1902 so until the 1911 census becomes "live" I will have to keep digging. All of the Heath men were freemen which has made it fairly easy to trace them. My own brother was made a freeman when he turned 21 in 1998 and we're hoping he will carry on the male line as he has three sisters!

His daughter "Audrey" is living in Longlevens. I'm collecting family materials from her.

His daughter "Audrey" is living in Longlevens. I'm collecting family materials from her.

That's great. Dad spoke about her yesterday...apparanty she used to push her around in his pram....! Please pass on his regards. His name is Denys and living in Barnwood where he's been since 1966.

I have sorted out how the relationship is there:

Albert Knight married Elizabeth Lawrence in 1902 and they had 9 children. William is my direct grandfather and my mothers side comes down from there. Albert's daughter married Ted Heath and Audrey is his daughter.

I'm hoping to update the family tree over the weekend.

I've seen the book, Graceland, but haven't bought it yet. What's it like? Is it worth the money and is the author the same guy that is hoping to bring out a DVD?

Ren. Strange how our lives have interwined in the past. I'm thinking of The Cadena here! But that's another story eh! http://www.visit-gloucestershire.co.uk/boa...icons/icon1.gif HI ORION & REN. Donald BULLOCk whom I went to Central School, Derby Rd. with 1944-48 was one of the Directors of BULLOCK BROS, TV Dealers, Longlevens and has retired now to SPAIN. To REN. I have been reading through your previous comments and have many happy memories of "Clapham" in spite of it being wartime !! Stanley E LANGSTON or"DADDY LANGSTON" as we called him was the then Headmaster of ST. Marks School . ROGER Langston , his nephew, was a member of our class and later had business in Lower Westgate Street. I recall the Welshman, MR. GRIFFITHS taking our class to the nearby allotment during those years and digging over the ground. Whenever a certain root was found by a pupil and Mr. Griffiths was asked "what is it, Sir ?, Mr Griffiths answered "COUCH Grass". This happened again and again, I suspect deliberately !! I lived at No. 8, SUFFOLK ST., during those years opposite the "DUKE of YORK" public houseand recall as a schoolboy watching from the 3rd floor window a large group of singers,after closing time, form a circle in the middle of the street and render "SONS OF THE SEA".They all illustrated the next line "A BOBBING UP & DOWN LIKE THIS" by bobbing up and down !! REN, you mentioned a CANON from Gloucester Cathedral. Could this have been CANON HARWOOD, who previously , as the REVD HARWOOD, was VICAR of ST. Marks , Worcester Street ?I recall incendiary bombs falling in the Clapham streets and there is still, as far as I know, the mark left of aan incendiary bomb which fell through the roof of that church. The pew concerned was near the REAR and to the LEFT of the main aisle.http://www.visit-gloucestershire.co.uk/boards/style_images/1/folder_post_icons/icon12.gif REN. My Grandmother Louisa who lived in COUNSELL Street worked at the JOHNIE STEPHENS JAM & PICKLE factory in Skinner Street, during the wartime.

Oh yes, this is exciting!

I was a pupil at St Marks Junior School from 1950 to 1951. I had just moved back to Gloucester from Cambridge and we lived in my Gran's house at 100 London Road. My Gran (Mary Emma Beddoe,) my Mum Kay (Kitty, nee Beddoe and then Carlyon) and my Uncle Patrick M Beddoe, lived there. My Uncle went to the National and often mentioned '' Monkey". When I lived there the headteacher was I think Dr Ruffell. I remember it closing down.

I only had a year at St Marks in the Top Juniors. My teacher was Mr John, a very Welsh Welshman, who took us to Choir Competitions all over, and drilled us in poetry. We were visited very regularly by the Canon of the Cathedral, who used to take us round and tell us what to look out for in the Cathedral. That was wonderful. It was a rough school, but I can remember the teachers were very dedicated. I went to Denmark from there, only June Dalby and I passed that year. I just found my old reports and the Head was Mr Langston.

My Uncle had gone to Crypt after the National (Mum and he were at Linden Road before that I think. ) He played Rugby (hooker) and later won cups for Badminton with his wife Barbara (Gardiner)( He married her at St Barnabas in 1952, and they had one daughter Jillian Beddoe who is my cousin and still lives in Maisemore. She went to Ribston and now teaches music all over the Glos area. He worked at County Hall for years and years.

My best friends at school (Denmark ) were Celia Rich (from the Fleece, Jean Robinson, Jill Green , Joan Luker, Val Gorrick) I am still trying to trace the last two...) I can't remember many from St Mark's except Mick Booth, Mick Berryman and Bobby Evans. I think the Micks went to Thommies. I know they played Rugby.

The Alvin/Sweetbriar Street area around the school were crowded and quite poor. I remember the old fashioned sweet shops too, You could get Kaylai, liquorice and all sorts there.

There was a recreation ground around there. We used to go after school for a swing and a talk to the boys...I was often late home!

Forgive all this rambling. It is so many years ago. I would have been on that photo if I had been one year younger! I will try to remember more about the area. I must admit I don't remember it being called Clapham either.

HELLO REN. I have this afternoon posted to the GLOS MESSAGE BOARDS a little more information. I thought that I would also repeat the following under your letter. :- I wonder if the CANON from the Cathedral was CANON HARWOOD, formerly the Vicar of St MARKS, Worcester Street ? Mr JOHN, a welshman was at St MARKs School during the wartime years when I was there. He used to take our class to our nearby allotment where we dug over the ground. VERY often a pupil would ask " What is this, Sir?" To which Mr JOHN replied COUCH". The question was repeated many times, I rather think deliberately !!http://www.visit-gloucestershire.co.uk/boards/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Oh yes, this is exciting!

I was a pupil at St Marks Junior School from 1950 to 1951. I had just moved back to Gloucester from Cambridge and we lived in my Gran's house at 100 London Road. My Gran (Mary Emma Beddoe,) my Mum Kay (Kitty, nee Beddoe and then Carlyon) and my Uncle Patrick M Beddoe, lived there. My Uncle went to the National and often mentioned '' Monkey". When I lived there the headteacher was I think Dr Ruffell. I remember it closing down.

I only had a year at St Marks in the Top Juniors. My teacher was Mr John, a very Welsh Welshman, who took us to Choir Competitions all over, and drilled us in poetry. We were visited very regularly by the Canon of the Cathedral, who used to take us round and tell us what to look out for in the Cathedral. That was wonderful. It was a rough school, but I can remember the teachers were very dedicated. I went to Denmark from there, only June Dalby and I passed that year. I just found my old reports and the Head was Mr Langston.

My Uncle had gone to Crypt after the National (Mum and he were at Linden Road before that I think. ) He played Rugby (hooker) and later won cups for Badminton with his wife Barbara (Gardiner)( He married her at St Barnabas in 1952, and they had one daughter Jillian Beddoe who is my cousin and still lives in Maisemore. She went to Ribston and now teaches music all over the Glos area. He worked at County Hall for years and years.

My best friends at school (Denmark ) were Celia Rich (from the Fleece, Jean Robinson, Jill Green , Joan Luker, Val Gorrick) I am still trying to trace the last two...) I can't remember many from St Mark's except Mick Booth, Mick Berryman and Bobby Evans. I think the Micks went to Thommies. I know they played Rugby.

The Alvin/Sweetbriar Street area around the school were crowded and quite poor. I remember the old fashioned sweet shops too, You could get Kaylai, liquorice and all sorts there.

There was a recreation ground around there. We used to go after school for a swing and a talk to the boys...I was often late home!

Forgive all this rambling. It is so many years ago. I would have been on that photo if I had been one year younger! I will try to remember more about the area. I must admit I don't remember it being called Clapham either.

HELLO REN. In my reply to ORION and YOU, I mentioned the welshman Mr GRIFFITHS , a teacher at St. Marks School. This should of course read "Mr. JOHN". Sorry, I was thinking also of someone else at the time !!http://www.visit-gloucestershire.co.uk/boards/style_images/1/folder_post_icons/icon12.gif

Hi Eddie,

I am very interested in the area of Clpham and Kingholm. My ancesters lived in these places. My mother was brought up in Suffolk Street. Please see under ancestry message board, a message I have left..... The Lewis-Watkins Family.

Any info would be great....

Great site too, only just found it...

Barbara

HI BARBARA. I have posted this information elsewhere, but I lived as a schoolboy at no. 8 SUFFOLK STREET and recall hearing mentioned the previous occupant- WATKINS. For your information I list the following families during the wartime years 39/45 :- NO 4- NEWMAN, 6- HOFTON, 8- NIXON, 10- EWERS, 12-KINGSCOTT, 14-BURFORD, 16 BAYLISS. I was not aware of the term "BODGER BURFORD" at that time. I well remember hearing at the time that young Peter KINGSCOTT had died after falling from the roof of one of the warehouses at the Dock. shttp://www.visit-gloucestershire.co.uk/boards/style_images/1/folder_post_icons/icon12.gif

HI BARBARA. I have posted this information elsewhere, but I lived as a schoolboy at no. 8 SUFFOLK STREET and recall hearing mentioned the previous occupant- WATKINS. For your information I list the following families during the wartime years 39/45 :- NO 4- NEWMAN, 6- HOFTON, 8- NIXON, 10- EWERS, 12-KINGSCOTT, 14-BURFORD, 16 BAYLISS. I was not aware of the term "BODGER BURFORD" at that time. I well remember hearing at the time that young Peter KINGSCOTT had died after falling from the roof of one of the warehouses at the Dock. shttp://www.visit-gloucestershire.co.uk/boards/style_images/1/folder_post_icons/icon12.gif

Dear Doug,

Many thanks for your reply. I am so amazed !!!

I never thought for a moment that I would ever get a reply, from a former resident of Suffolk Street, let alone one who lived where my Mother grew up.

In 1933, my Mother Nell Watkins, was living at 8 Suffolk Street, she married Fred Beckett, who was according to the marriage certificate lodging at no 6.

The Watkins family were very poor, Nancy my grandmother was widowed in 1925. I think life was a total struggle. Nancy I believe was a " character". According to my Mother, she had a pet duck/goose, which she would take for walks on a piece of string . The correct family name was in fact Lewis-Watkins, but my Mothers branch seem to have dropped the Lewis by 1933.

My Great Grandparents Harriet & Charles Lewis-Watkins, also lived in Clapham. Union Street comes to mind.

On looking at the names you have supplied. I remember my Mother talking about Ivy Ewers. I think it was Ivy ?

I have a newspaper photo of the residents of Suffolk Street, taken at a street party in 1937. You may be able to name some of the people. If you would like to see it, let me know.

I look forward to hearing from you. Do you have any pictures of Suffolk Street ? To see any would be brilliant.

My e mail address is barbara.edmonds@gmail.com if it is easier to reply on please use that.

Many thanks.

Best wishes

Barbara

<!--quoteo(post=11985:date=Feb 7 2006, 09:17 PM:name=barbara)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (barbara @ Feb 7 2006, 09:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=11985"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hi Eddie,

I am very interested in the area of Clpham and Kingholm. My ancesters lived in these places. My mother was brought up in Suffolk Street. Please see under ancestry message board, a message I have left..... The Lewis-Watkins Family.

Any info would be great....

Great site too, only just found it...

Barbara<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Dear Doug,

I have already replied to your post but I don't think it worked ?

How fantastic. I never thought I would get a reply about Suffolk Street. My Mother Ellen ( Nell) Watkins, was raised in 8 Suffolk Street. Her Mother was Nancy Watkins, who was widowed in 1925. Life was very tough for the family. Nancy herself was a bit of a character. According to my Mother, Nancy had a pet duck/goose, which she would take on walks, to the local pub I think !

According to my Parents marriage certificate dated 1933. My father was living as a lodger at 6 Suffolk Street at this time. I am not sure when Nancy died, but she did have a photograph taken in 1937, at a Suffolk St, street party. It's a newspaper clipping, sadly faded, but I could e mail it, you may be able to name a few of the people.

The name Ewers does ring a bell. I can remember my Mother talking about The Ewers. The name Ivy rings a bell, but I am not sure.

Please tell me all you know about Suffolk Street, what were the houses like etc. I am afraid that The Watkins Family were very poor. In actually fact the Family name was Lewis-Watkins. But my Mothers branch seem to have dropped the Lewis part. Though from my family history research I know that The Lewis-Watkins lived in Union Street, at least in 1912.

I only know about " Bodger Burford " as my sister in law mentioned that he lived next door to The Watkins.

Anyway hope to hear from you soon. Amazing to think that you lived where my Mother grew up. Clapham was demolised before I was born, and my Mothers family so poor I cannot really find any photos.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards. Barbara. Oxfordshire.

Hello~ I am replying to this old post so I don't know if you will get this or not my Grandmother Lived at 7 Alvin Street and I spent a lot of time there with my Gran My Mum was raised there along with her brothers and sisters I know the area very well I lived in Victoria Street there is a book out titled "Clapham" and my Gran is mentioned in it her name was Mazella Hamer and she had a Fish and Chip shop across the road from Number 7 and also sold fresh produce such as cabbages spuds etc: would love to hear from anyone from that area

Hi, "English Muffin". I do remember your Gran, Mazella HAMER, who lived at No. 7 Alvin Street. I was a schoolboy, 6 yrs old at the outbreak of war in 1939. Your Gran lived next door to Mrs. FIELDS (at No. 9) who had been married twice and her children by her first husband (Ballard) were Bert, Betty, Francis and Kenneth. At No. 11 was a sweet shop.

Quite right Nobby. My two school reports from that time show Mr Langston first (1950), and Dr Ruffell (1951,) so it all ties in.

Yes Mr Langston was well liked. He even had high expectations of ME,(or so he said in the report I have!)

Can anyone remember the strong smell from the pickle factory in Kingsholm?

Did anyone go to the rugby match at Kingsholm when the Hungarians came to play?? It must have been about 55 or56. Grrrrr! They were gorgeous! They had what seemed like very short shorts, and divine legs.. They presented single roses to the ladies in the stands. Oh Yum!!! What's more they stayed at The Fleece and my friend Celia got to meet them all!

Was the pickle factory in kingsholm the Jam factory at the bottom of serlo road?

Yes as far as i Know it was

Beat me to it Graceland

Yes, I lived at 27 Serlo Road many moons ago

Ed Many Moons ago when i was small

We lived in Saint Cathrine Street !!

Found all the postings re Clapham very interesting. My grandmother Angelina Bolton)lived at the Anchor in Sweetbriar Street with her aunt and uncle(Mr & Mrs Lewis) This was back in the 1800s she married at St.Marks Church to Frank Goscombe who worked at the foundry in Sweetbriar Street. So any old pictures of the pub would be very interesting or any info that might help with my famiy history. Thanks for all the interesting pieces I have been reading. By the way I belong to the Clapham Society and have a DVD produced by Bernie Polson.

Val Walton (Oxford)

Valerie, here is a picture of the Anchor Pub. I wonder if the lady in it is Mrs Lewis or even your Grandmother when she was young.

post-9-12543920656327.jpg

I thought I'd posted this photo of the Anchor Inn on the boards before ?

but couldn't find it ?

The Anchor Inn, Clapham, Glos.

post-3085-12543975818227.jpg

Claphamman likes this

GB old chap -- what would be the date of that picture sir ??

That's a good picture G-B. I think it's 1953, Graceland.