Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eddie

Registering for these boards

17 posts in this topic

You must use a valid email to register here. This is to keep the spammers at bay and so keep this a pleasant environment for our users

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at 111788-www1.softdata.co.uk.

I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.

This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<karonnyp@hotmail.com>:

65.54.244.232 does not like recipient.

Remote host said: 550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable Giving up on 65.54.244.232.

Great Eddie, you do an excellent job and yes it is pleasent to be able to come on here and read stuff withot the rubbish on other boards. _ Well done

There is currently no way of either signing in or registering for the Gloucestershire Forum using a library computer. Eddie is working on this problem.

I might be wrong, but signing onto a Google account at the library and then using that to register with the boards might work...

The problem also affects laptops provided by the council. I am working on it

I might be wrong, but signing onto a Google account at the library and then using that to register with the boards might work...

Joe, please explain what you mean by "signing onto a Google account".

Joe, please explain what you mean by "signing onto a Google account".

Google Accounts. They give you more access to Google's tools and so on and act as a digital passport for sites such as YouTube and so forth. But from what I know about the problem you were and are having at the Library it won't help in this instance. The problem is, AFAIK, a browser incompatibility issue.

Thanks for the explanation, Alex.

That's about the size of it. Specifically, it gives you a Google email account (@gmail.com) which can be useful as an alternative email address to use publicly, so it attracts all the spam. All correspondence is kept on a Google server, so there is a possible security risk, I'd guess. I've never tried to sign on to mine at the library, but it's got be easier than signing on to AOL there. Actually, it is possible to sign on to AOL in a similar way, so maybe you can with Hotmail too...

Google register

I think it is restrictions place by the council. I have raised a ticket with IP who wrote the software.

I have emailed the council. It looks most likely that the council bans javascript or 3rd party cookies. I havent had a single report of trouble from anyone using their own pc

I have had this from th script authors

This is almost certainly a 3rd-party cookie issue, which Facebook uses for login, and the Library/Council security policies for the computers are blocking them.

I have had a reply from the council, and they are looking into the problem. I'll update as soon as I hear again

Hi

Thanks for keeping the site running, Eddie!

Cheers

Paul Harries

I have hear bck from the council and it looks like the problem is caused by the libraries using IE7.

I have just this moment received a response from our support services who have tested accessing the site from a variety of browsers. Their initial results indicate that this explain the issue.

They have found that:

Access works on IE8 but not IE7 and also works on firefox 3.6.3 but not 3.1.

So, it looks like we will have to wait until the libraries update the browsers on their computers. A very big thank you to Luke Howse and all the support staff.

I will update when the upgrade goes through.

I suspected as much. Well done Eddie for looking into it and to the support services at the Library. Hopefully they'll upgrade quickly - IE8 is much more secure and feature-rich than IE7.

If you are having problems trying to register for the boards, then please let me know at admin@softdata.co.uk

In the last month the system has rejected over 500 spambots, but it does occasionally make mistakes.