Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Glawster -Born

Old Photo of Winchcombe High Street ( 1900's ? )

12 posts in this topic

Old Photo of Winchcombe High Street ( Date Unknown ? )

Here's a copy of a photo given to me by my late grandmother's cousin Hilda from the Cotswold village of Winchcombe, near Cheltenham, who at the time was 100 years old and whose mind is still as sharp as a new pin. On October 18th 2007 she will be celebrating her 103rd birthday.

The scene is an early photograph of Winchcombe High Street , which at first I believed was taken in the early 1900's.....

However, when zooming in on one of the shop signs in the photo there was the name of a W & A Cabey and

upon asking Hilda about the shop, she had no recollections at all of W & A Cabey owning a shop there, despite

her razor sharp memory and so I assume that the photo was taken before the 1900's possibly 1800's or earlier ?

In the forefront of the right hand side of the picture is an ancestor of mine, by the name of William Wasley, wearing a trilby hat, but as there were several generations going back, with the same name, only a visit to the Gloucester Archive's, formally known as Gloucester record office, to look up the trader Wm Cabey, might give an approximate year, that the photo was taken.

I hope to get around to visiting Glos Archives and start looking up W & A Cabey's shop to get an approx date, sometime soon.

Update:

I've now sent a copy of this picture to Gloucester Family History Society and It wil be featured in their

March 2008 edition.

If you're a guest to these boards and can't see the photo, then register for free and the photo's

will be revealed.

post-3085-1189372961.jpg

That's a good picture, GB. Judging by their dress, I would say that was about 1900.

That's a good picture, GB. Judging by their dress, I would say that was about 1900.

That was my first thought Orion, until Hilda born 1904, couldn't recall there ever being a shop of that name ? And she'll soon be 103 years old and her mind's still sharp as a new pin !

PS: Orion , you have my permission to use this picture on your ' Old Glos ' website, on condition you

ALWAY'S mention William Wasley, one of my ancestor's on the front right hand side of picture B)

The problem is that shops come ang go and may have closed in 1905. Without digging in the records we will never know.

The problem is that shops come ang go and may have closed in 1905. Without digging in the records we will never know.

Glos Archives are open from 9.am to 8.pm on Thursdays, so I might pop in and do a bit of research on a few things to do with the old family tree and look up the traders directory for W & A Cabey, in the hope of pinning down an approximate date, then I can go by the approximate age of William Wasley in the photograph.

Update:

I've now sent a copy of this picture to Gloucester Family History Society and It wil be featured in their

March 2008 edition.

LATEST NEWS !

The Photo appeared in this months GFHS Magazine and there's been a 2nd response !

A lady wrote in to say that she could tell you that the Winchcombe High Street picture was taken some time before 1916 because she has a copy of it on a postcard dated 31st October 1915.

post-3085-1205776469.jpg

LATEST NEWS !

The Photo appeared in this months GFHS Magazine and there's been a response !

A lady wrote in to say that she could tell you that the Winchcombe High Street picture was taken some time before 1916 because she has a copy of it on a postcard dated 31st October 1915.

LATEST NEW'S

Here's the latest message regarding, trying to put a date to the photo of Winchcombe High Street.

Most of what I said before was wrong! The shop Barbara was

thinking of was A W Smith, and she says it was more or less where the

sign hangs on the left of your picture. It was in the Smith family for

at least 2 generations, and the initials changed at least once.

One of the signs on the right read "The Abbey Restaurant" in

1900, and at first I thought you might have misread that.

There was a shop called W & A Gilbey, Wine & Spirit Merchant,

which seems the best bet. The only location we've been able to find for

this was in The George complex. This is just visible in your picture

behind the woman standing in the road, but it doesn't seem to have a

sign. A photo from 1900 includes the sign, and a man of our age thinks

he remembers the shop still there when he was a child. Oddly enough,

this shop was occupied in the second half of the 19th century by two

unrelated Smiths (not simultaneously!).

Another 1900 photo shows the street lights which appear in your

picture, so that doesn't help much.

I tried to trace the people who looked so familiar, and found

them in a photo definitely taken before 1884, so that is no use. As far

as I can discover, the last major rebuilding in the High Street was of

The George in 1884. The White Hart was rebuilt a little earlier, I

think.

We'll keep looking for further information.

--

Arnold

Just stumbled across this forum so I thought I’d add my two pennorth to the discussion about the age of the old photo of Winchcombe High Street.

If the shop sign does read W & A Gilbey (rather than W & A Cabey, as first thought) then the Winchcombe trade directories for the late 19th and early 20th centuries can help us to narrow things down. During this span there are no entries in the commercial section under the name Gilbey, but from 1876 the entry for George Smith jun of High Street was expanded from grocer, tea dealer & clothier, to include the phrase ‘agent for W & A Gilbeys wines and spirits’.

Similar entries were in the Post Office directory for 1879 and Kelly’s directories for 1885, 1889, 1894 and 1897.

George Smith was not in Kelly’s 1902 directory, but there is an entry for George Benham, grocer and agent for W & A Gilbey Ltd wine and spirit merchants, High Street, which was repeated in 1906. Neither Smith or Benham were in Bennett’s business directory of 1908 or subsequent Winchcombe directories nor is there any further mention of W A Gilbey.

Previous postings on this topic indicated that the Town Hall clock (shown in the photo) was installed in 1898 and that the photo could not have been after 1915 because it was shown on a postcard dated October 1915. The information from the directories strongly suggests that there was no Winchcombe agent for Gilbeys from 1908 at the latest, so if the sign was taken down fairly promptly when the agency ended then the photo would have been taken between 1898 and 1908.

ROB WHITE

Welcome to the boards Rob, and many thanks for the update

Welcome to the boards Rob, and many thanks for the update

Hello Rob, Welcome to the boards and thank you for your info regards the old Winchcombe photo. this will help me to narrow down which William Wasley ( There were a few ) from Winchcombe was pictured on the lower front right of the picture.

Foootnote: Hilda Greening ( nee Wasley ) of Winchcombe will be celebrating her 105th birthday on October 18th this year.

Hi There, Did the William Wasley on the photo here come from Cheltenham. He had a son called James? A market gardener? Was Williams wife Mary Ebsworth