marshn

Gloucestershire Airport Expansion Plans

46 posts in this topic

Gloucester Airport has submitted planning applications to Tewkesbury Borough Council, which if approved will allow them to implement their five-year plan.

Time is running out to raise objections to these proposals, the closing date for comments from the public for the first proposal is March 9th 2007.

The details of the five-year plan have not previously been made public, but a copy has been submitted as part of the planning application. This will confirm may peoples concerns that the airport wishes to increase the amount of jet traffic using their facilities. For example the plan states (page 23, 'On Completion') that "The improvements to the runway declared distances could be expected to quickly attract larger business aircraft that cannot currently use or are severely restricted in their use of the airport".

The full planning application, including the 5-year plan, can be read online at the Tewkesbury Borough Council website :

http://www.tewkesburybc.gov.uk/ in the section “Planning and Development Services”, “View Planning Applications Online”. The relevant applications are :

06/01669/FUL Construction of a new access road to Gloucestershire Airport including new junction with Bamfurlong

06/01671/FUL Construction of replacement Boarding Kennels and Cattery with associated ancillary storage/reception

06/01670/FUL Demolition of dwelling and ancillary storage/agricultural buildings and their replacement

Notices concerning these planning applications have been posted at the main entrance to the airport.

They dont give up do they.

Thank you for the heads up

Would you rather have thousands more houses?

There seems to be a strange idea that this land will just sit looking pretty if the airport don't get what they need to survive. It won't happen and Cheltenham and Gloucester will be edging ever nearer to be one giant mass with Churchdown eaten up in the middle somewhere.

There is no evidence at all that the airport need to have more and larger aircraft at the airport. That is what they would like and that is what they have applied for permission for, but it is not what they need to survive. They could continue to build the leisure activities there and do at least as well as they are now, if not better.

Neither is it a case of give them what they want or have houses.

At the moment it is acceptable, we only get a few jets, the aircraft are in the main propellor although there has been an increase in helicopters.

If the airport get their way that will all change.

I'm with Neil on this one!

I love sitting in a deckchair, mid summer, a salad butty in one hand an glass of wine in t'other and watching the planes fly over.

But then, I used to live very close by to Mier Arodrome in the 60's-70's and loved watching the tiger moths tow gliders behind them.....great days! :)

Tiger moths are ok Tony, but I dont think you wil be as keen when passenger jets thunder overhead every hour

I can see we'll have to agree to disagree on this, Eddie! ;)

A few years ago, the father-in-law used to manage a few "well heeled" apartments in London, directly under the flight path for Heathrow.

I spent a very happy week down there, watching all sorts come into land.

Everything from private jets to Concorde.

In fact, by the end of the week, the better half always knew where to find me if I "went missing"......I'd be on the roof "plane spotting!"

:D

I think you may feel different when you are blasted out of bed at 6am and you cant watch your TV in the evening

You may think it is wonderful Neil, but I dont want jets flying over my house like that. Anyone who lives near to somewhere like that will tell you that the garden is unuseable and the price of your house drops.

Bloody hell Neil!

Not sure I want em that big or that close! ;)

I remember my uncle telling me of the first apartment he had out in Hong Kong back in the late 70's.

He was on the 35th floor and the planes used to come in under his front window!....and I do mean UNDER! :D

My Sis-in-law lives near to Heathrow and is certainly never put off using her garden. I find that it's the smaller planes that cause the most annoying noises. Those micro-lights can be heard for miles.

I have many friends in the London area and they would all be happier if Heathrow was not there.

Gloucester Airport has submitted planning applications to Tewkesbury Borough Council, which if approved will allow them to implement their five-year plan.

Ta indeed for the info. It's always nice to see someone making the effort to use the internet to spread information. You should also consider using the BBC Where I Live boards. Just keep a note of your details, because you can find yourself logged off, and in need of your user name/password at short notice.

And as I tend to say to all new posters who post an ad, of any kind, as their first message: please join in discussions, too. Impolite not to...

Seeya :)

The airport's 'five-year plan', that sets out their strategy for expanding the site, has been removed from the Tewkesbury Borough Council planning web site. The planning officer told me that this was done at the request of the airport, because the document contains sensitive information. I understand that it will be returned when the relevant pages have been deleted. How can anybody be expected to form a balanced judgement on the four planning applications, when the key document that is driving them is not available?

I also see that the Gloucestershire Echo has picked up on this, at last. There is an article tucked away on page seventeen of todays (Saturday) edition.

Regards, Neil

Saw your piece in the Echo, I'm still not happy that too many grumbles could close it. It's a fantastic resource for the area.

Were you there when they had air shows? Fan-bl%dy-tastic! And all on our doorsteps :icon_biggrin:

I have always lived in the area, so yes I do remember the airshows! They were fantastic, especially the Vulcan doing a low pass! What a sight and sound.

What I am concerned about now is a similar airshow 364 days a year!

On Sept 4th last year we got a taste of what to expect; a type of jet that I hadn't seen here before (maybe an Embraer 135??) visited the airport for the first time. It made several passes and the noise was terrible, far worse that the usual aircraft we get here. Several complaints were made about the noise and I for one don't want that type of aircraft to become a regular visitor.

It seems clear to me that the airport wants to increase the proportion of this type of aircraft to help make ends meet with the higher landing fees and greater fuel sales - all at the expense of the thousands of people living around the airport. Unless you are a business who can afford to charter an aircraft you can't even fly anywhere from the airport anymore, there isn't a single scheduled service operating this year!

Neil

The airport's 'five-year plan', that sets out their strategy for expanding the site, has been removed from the Tewkesbury Borough Council planning web site. The planning officer told me that this was done at the request of the airport, because the document contains sensitive information. I understand that it will be returned when the relevant pages have been deleted. How can anybody be expected to form a balanced judgement on the four planning applications, when the key document that is driving them is not available?

I also see that the Gloucestershire Echo has picked up on this, at last. There is an article tucked away on page seventeen of todays (Saturday) edition.

Regards, Neil

Secretive authorities... We've all been there, as the Car Liberation Front poster said about restraining orders.

I recall a similar article tucked away in the Citizen last year. The claim was that an effectively longer runway was needed for safety, because the nearby buildings interfered with sensors needed for the final approach. Now they're they're being a little more honest about larger aircraft landing.

Bigger, quieter planes... they always find some way to spin what they want as a good thing, just like Parkway. I wonder if they're having any luck extending the opening times of the airport?

The cat is out of the bag now. Their real plans are now in the public domain - bigger jets and more of them.

The airport is still breaking the law by the way they have fenced off as public right of way to allow these plans.

Letters to the parliamentary ombudsman, and the press are going out today from me.

Gloucestershire Airport Expansion

It has started……..

Gloucester Airport has submitted planning applications to Tewkesbury Borough Council,

which if approved will allow them to implement their five-year plan.

Time is running out to raise objections to these applications. March 1st 2007 is the closing

date for comments from the public for the first application, according to the notice at the

airport entrance.

The details of the five-year plan have not previously been made public, but a copy has

been submitted as part of the planning application & it confirms that the airport wishes to

increase the amount of jet traffic using their facilities.

· For example the plan states (page 23, ’On Completion’) that "The improvements to

the runway declared distances could be expected to quickly attract larger

business aircraft that cannot currently use or are severely restricted in their

use of the airport".

The full planning application, including the 5-year plan, can be read online at the

Tewkesbury Borough Council website:

http://www.tewkesburybc.gov.uk/ in the section “Planning and Development Services”,

“View Planning Applications Online”.

Current planning applications have been posted at the airport main entrance & the plans

can now be inspected at Churchdown Parish Council Offices, Parton Road between

9.15am & 1.00pm.

· 06/01669/FUL Construction of a new access road to Gloucestershire Airport including

new junction with Bamfurlong

· 06/01671/FUL Construction of replacement Boarding Kennels and Cattery with

associated ancillary storage/reception

· 06/01670/FUL Demolition of dwelling and ancillary storage/agricultural buildings and

their replacement

Once again it is time to act.

If you DON’T want more jet aircraft overhead.

If you DON’T want the local environment damaged.

If you DON’T want the values of your homes to decrease.

If you DON’T want the stench of jet fuel wafting in your neighbourhood.

Then DON’T be apathetic & write now to the Tewkesbury Borough Council Planning

Department (Development Services, Tewkesbury Borough Council, Gloucester Road, Tewkesbury,

Glos. GL20 5TT) before it is too late.

Concerned Residents of Bamfurlong

The full plans (except the 'deleted' five-year plan) are online at the Tewkesbury Borough Council website:

http://www.tewkesburybc.gov.uk/

You have to look in the section “Planning and Development Services”, then “View Planning Applications Online”, then do a search for the applicant "Gloucestershire Airport"

The best plan to show the runway extension is "06/01671/FUL" for the "Construction of replacement Boarding Kennels and Cattery with associated ancillary storage/reception".

To get an understanding of the the way the airport could change from being predominantly light aircraft to a centre for business jets (plus the existing light aircraft), with all the additional noise and pollution, you really must read the five year plan. This document explains how a relatively small increase in the physical runway will allow larger aircraft to use the airport. Unfortunately the airport have arranged for the document to be removed from the planning web site - if you would like to read it, get in touch and you can borrow mine.

Neil

Are there any actual plans online that show the physical difference the extension will make to the local area? Surely there's only so far that they can go what with Chelt Rd East in one direction and the M5 in the other.

i knew this would happen once parkway was approved, rail networks and flights linking business to the rest of england massive areas of industrial space availiable. the very real danger is that churchdown will become an inconvenient obstacle in the path of gloucester/cheltenham's business expansion. this could be very bad indeed :angry2:

I love the way the airport claim that propellor aircraft are more noisy than jets. :argue000:

Tis a strange thing that Eddie. I have to admit that we are not on the normal flight path from Bournemouth, although we often get military flights right overhead and they are more interesting than noisy. There are some days when, (I can only presume that it is the wind direction) we hear the planes running up their engines. The jets make a very distinct noise but it is the prop. aircraft that then make a huge noise. Why, I have no idea.