Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joe Kilker

Barton Residents' Association (slight return)

6 posts in this topic

I've been thinking, since it appears that nothing ever gets done in this ward except through a community organisation - as that seems like the only way to secure a grant to fund any action - that the Barton Residents' Association needs to be revived. When I asked Gloucester City Homes a few years ago if they would fund such an initiative in the way they did the Tredworth Residents' Association, and currently TETRA, they replied that GCH didn't have enough properties in Barton to justify such spending (however much they think it costs to hire a room for two hours a month and let residents speak out on social issues they feel aren't being addressed by authorities. Ultimately, perhaps, quite a lot for their council colleagues, if it means those issues do have to be addressed).

In the absence of that funding source, the only other option seems to be enlisting the aid of local councillors/political parties, and challenging them to recognise or repudiate such a need. That means making a case for community-led intervention on long-standing issues, so here are a few:

Sainsbury's crossing - establish if Section 106 money should've been made available for public improvement such as this.

Police - Get answers about regular public meetings (at least twice a year) attended by officers. Establish if Barton & Tredworth Street Reps still exist, now the partnership is gone.

Napier Street Play Area - Get answers (and a firm date) about promised replacement of long damaged fence by Gloucester City Council.

Ayland Gardens - Get answers about how a (tentatively promised) new play area can be protected from vandalism, when a new picnic table has already been damaged.

Prostitution/other ASB - Get answers about how current police strategy is working, when same faces keep showing up on Widden St. Other solutions needed?

Sajid Patel's CCTV - See about getting some say in where the camera is placed (in Barton, at least).

Community garden at city farm (Tredworth?) - City farm is for all of the ward, if not city? Press Friendship Café/Gymnasian about two year old promise to replace vandalised/stolen benches. Seek grant for carved wooden bench, as at Barnwood Arboretum and most other wards?

Young people, activities - Explore ways to engage youths positively, for the benefit of the community.

Sinope car park noticeboard - refurbish noticeboard, and encourage its use by the community.

I missed one...

Xmas lights on Barton St - Explore ways of funding this initiative, raised but then abandoned by partnership under Tony Ward.

Hi

Actually I already asked about the crossing at Sainsbury's. The official answer it wasn't needed as there would only be the same amount of footfall to the supermarket as went to the India pub before. Political lies so they wouldn't have to spend money. Even kept the official answer email in case there was an accident. (Likely to be me now I'm disabled)

But all the points you raised are valid ones. Stuff that Community Counts would have addressed when it was about.

Good Luck!

Paul Harries

Or that the partnership could have addressed instead of going down the Tony Ward route of finding residents to be detrimental to the smooth running of a residents' association.

The need for a crossing is as self-evident as the every day hazard posed by delivery lorries on the DYLs in front of Biedronki. That no-one chased the council up on Section 106 money, or persuaded one of our councillors to do so, is scandalous.

Hi

I spoke about it in open council meeting 27th Sept 2012, item 31.9 on agenda:

31.9         Mr Paul Harries asked the Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Culture the following questions:

1.  Now that the plans for India House to be demolished/rebuilt have gone ahead, what, if any plans has the Council taken to assess the Environmental Impact Statement and Risk Assessment whilst the demolition/rebuilding is going on? Thinking specifically of the debris & dust. Plus the security implications of the site.

2.  What, if any plans has the Council made re the major traffic disruption this development will cause whilst the work is going on. There is a blind junction, two bus stops and a police station adjacent to the site. All at risk from large commercial plant vehicles. Does the council plan to close this busy access road to Gloucester?

3.  Once the site has been developed, will the council build a pedestrian crossing by the supermarket, to allow young families, the elderly & disabled to cross safely? I remind members of the blind junction, two bus stops & police station.

4.  Whilst demolition/construction work is going on, will the pavement be affected? Specifically will the existing phone booth & letter box be removed to allow access for the large plant vehicles?

The answer to part 3 below (Couldn't cut'n paste it, sorry). When I rang up for clarification they said since there would be no increase in footfall there was no need for a crossing. (I think they just wanted to rush the application through and didn't want to delay it with a revised application).

Thanks

Paul Harries

letter_to_mr_harries_18102012.pdf

I'm aware you spoke at the council meeting. I think I may even have been present. It's the council's claim, via Ismail Rhyman at a Street Reps meeting, that Section 106 funding didn't apply because [he claimed] the original building was not demolished, that needed to be challenged. Money should have been available to spend on something in the community, and we lost out, with councillors not lifting a finger to help.