Stephen Lovatt

Candidate for Cheltenham Brough Council - Hesters Way

13 posts in this topic

I am going to be the Conservative candidate for Hesters Way ward in the Cheltenham borough election of Spring 2018. I am keen to learn everything I can about the ward, its problems, resources, and potentiality.

To this end, I have already had a number of meetings with local agencies and activists and hope to have more in the near future. I have been very impressed with the expertise, imagination and commitment of the people I have met and look forward to working with them - and others - to change the narrative about our neighborhood from a story of sadness and deprivation to one of hope and prosperity.

If you have any issues that you would like to raise with me,don't hesitate to do so. Likewise if you have any suggestions as to how things can be made better for local residents.

I was born in Stoke-on-/Trent the son of a semi-skilled labourer I have a PhD in Physics. I have worked as an electronic engineer, a software developer, and a teacher of maths and science. I am a cyclist and a keen gardener. I am an avid theatre-goer and write books of poetry, philosophy and theology.

I am especially interested in the problems of homelessness and mental health - especially in the case of young people.

I am opposed to all kinds of prejudice and welcome the fact that couples of the same sex can be married. I thiink that the regeneration of our locality must be based on two foundations: the promotion of neighborliness and friendly cooperation, and the encouragement of local enterprise and small businesses.

If you would like to meet me: that would be great. If you are open to the idea of being part of my election campaign, that would be especially apreciated.

Sincerely,

Stephen Lovatt

Mosaic.jpg

TakenByLuke.jpg

SymbolStone.jpg

The very best of luk to you

Do you, or any of your Cheltenham Conservative colleagues, have a comment to make about this story? Politicians, elected and aspiring, could stand to be a little more open to having their views scrutinised, rather than making pronouncements from the safety of newspapers and campaign leaflets.

http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/cheltenham-news/pupils-banned-cheltenham-bournside-school-432153

On 12/09/2017 at 10:56 AM, Joe Kilker said:

Do you, or any of your Cheltenham Conservative colleagues, have a comment to make about this story? Politicians, elected and aspiring, could stand to be a little more open to having their views scrutinised, rather than making pronouncements from the safety of newspapers and campaign leaflets.

http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/cheltenham-news/pupils-banned-cheltenham-bournside-school-432153

Personally, I am furious. School uniform is an important contributor to ethos and identity and discipline; but this is setting the cart before the horse.

It seems to me that schools are making utterly unreasonable demands of parents these days. When I was a pupil, school uniform was expensive enough; but no-one had any difficulty in getting it - not even those from the most disadvantaged families.

The story is not about a school in the ward I will be contesting, hence I did not comment on it of my own initiative - but as you asked my opinion, I have given it.

On 11/09/2017 at 9:10 AM, Eddie said:

The very best of luk to you

Thank you.

I can't see what all the fuss is about re pupils being sent home for "non standard uniform" .I went to Stroud Girl's High School back in the early 1970's. If I remember correctly the only place to buy School uniforms back then was Batemans in Stroud. My mum had a list of the clothes which were required and we went out and bought them. We did not have any choice of skirts etc.what was on the list was bought in plenty of time for the new School year. There was only a couple of choices for shoes, no trainers then!

I can remember having very bad blisters on my heels and could not wear the standard sandals. I had to wear a pair of my Gran's sandals (not very fetching). I took a note to School to explain why, I even had a letter from my Doctor, and that was not good enough so I was sent home.

Our skirts were measured too to make sure that they were not too short.

What's really going to fry your noodles is that the Echo wrote an article about this six months ago, as reffed in this Mirror article* - http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/school-makes-minor-change-uniform-10061514 - so the change wasn't unexpected, and parents presumably had plenty of time to protest. Of course, due to that revamp I mentioned in my last comment, the old article has gone without trace, bar an error message, and Glo Live's Twitter account won't acknowledge my query about this, or say if they are following up the story along the lines commenters have suggested they should. Investigative journalism at its finest, funds permitting...

*Co-written by Glo Live's Tom Gibbon, who presumably wrote the Echo article as well. I went to the library to find the article, and it's only just occurred to me that I should have been looking in the Echo, rather than the Citizen, d'oh!

And I guessed this wasn't in your area, which is why I asked about your Conservative colleagues. The school's postcode puts this in Warden Hill, where one of the borough councillors, Chris Ryder, is a Conservative (the other is Tony Oliver, a Liberal Democrat). Surprising lack of input from either of them. Perhaps too far away from elections, yet.

On 24/09/2017 at 10:50 AM, Joe Kilker said:

And I guessed this wasn't in your area, which is why I asked about your Conservative colleagues. The school's postcode puts this in Warden Hill, where one of the borough councillors, Chris Ryder, is a Conservative (the other is Tony Oliver, a Liberal Democrat). Surprising lack of input from either of them. Perhaps too far away from elections, yet.

Apart from anything else, State schools come under the County Council - not the Borough Council. That is no excuse for Conservatives not to comment as I believe that the County is Tory led - unlike Cheltenham borough! I have made my comment, for what it's worth!

Precisely. No excuse for the most local representatives not to have an opinion, and certainly for the paper not to seek it, except when it's a paper that bends over backwards to not put members of the ruling party in a tough spot*. But this seems to be a dead story now, because sticking with it would only reveal what a bad job the original report was.

*And I know it's a cliche that every media organisation, from the BBC downwards, is accused by right and left of being biased to the other side on just about every issue. I still think the Citizen, or whatever it's now called, is particularly soft on the authorities, which is what one would expect when resources have become too restricted to do the job of investigative journalism without full co-operation from those authorities.

Welcome to the forum Stephen. I don't know much about the local issues in Hesters Way but it is good to see a candidate seeking out views and information ahead of time.

4 hours ago, AlexMcKee said:

Welcome to the forum Stephen. I don't know much about the local issues in Hesters Way but it is good to see a candidate seeking out views and information ahead of time.

Dear Alex,

It struck me that this was the only responsible course of action. I have just received a briefing from the previous Conservative candidate, which was very helpful. In particular he brought the problem of car-parking and traffic congestion to my attention.

I attended the "Cheltenham West Consultation" last Tuesday. I was expecting to be there for only thirty minutes or so. My main purpose was to find out what other people felt and thought about the area. I was pleasently surprised when I was almost pinned down and interrogated by the people organising the event for well over an hour. I said that I thought it was somewhat impertinent for me to push my own views at present, because I was not yet sufficiently informed; but the conversation which ensued was very fruitful in generating quite a few ideas, I will post a summary of these elsewhere.

Regards,
Stephen

If you don't mind me asking, do you live in the ward you are seeking to represent?