Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eddie

£100m to be spent on Matson and Podsmead in next 10 to 20 years

8 posts in this topic

Matson is set for change with a £1.249 million regeneration project.

Gloucester City Homes won a government bid to get the money to get the ball rolling last December.

There will be a huge amount of research and community engagement that needs to happen before a spade goes into the ground and building starts.

Chief Executive at Gloucester City Homes Ashley Green said: “This is a strategic alliance between GCH, key partners and tenants and residents in the area.

“We are working with local politicians, the city MP, the city and county council. The regeneration links to planning and strategic investment to link up to a long term vision.”

It is estimated that over the next 10 to 20 years there will be around £100 million spent on the regeneration of Podsmead and Matson.

Citizen

It's funny. Gloucester City Council, who are in charge of parks, have been trying, and apparently failing, to drum up funding to repair the path (which is a state) between the park entrance on Trier Way, and the Queen Anne statue, further down Trier Way. One little path can't get done in the city's main park, while the financial taps are positively gushing elsewhere.

Sadly I agree with you here

For all the supposed gushing we see little evidence of anything being done in Matson. I am very curious as to where all this money ends up.

On 8/29/2017 at 5:36 PM, AlexMcKee said:

For all the supposed gushing we see little evidence of anything being done in Matson. I am very curious as to where all this money ends up.

Actually, compared with Barton & Tredworth, it's fairly easy to see where much, if not most, of that money goes. The Redwell Centre, Together In Matson, an actual carved statue (like the 'Wonders' in Age of Empires, a statue seems to be a basic requirement to signal an engaged community, and its absence is notable here), in a well maintained park. Even the sheep don't seem to be a problem.

Of course, this is not to say that some of the money isn't being wasted, in the eyes of residents. Labour councillors are always a little lavish with funds for their pet social projects, while Tories affect to believe that private individuals are always ready to pick up the financial slack, while the community crumbles.

Oh, but I see this is about Gloucester City Homes again. Another government bung, after the huge loan they took out for their newly, freely acquired housing stock that the city council couldn't borrow on. As long as the pen-pushers stay in employment, that's the main thing.

Germo49 likes this

Fascinating...

"Voices need to be heard"

“Councillor Tom Coole has researched into setting up a democratic diversities group to set up a community council which gives the community a stronger voice and then enables the community to take responsibility for where they live.

“It would give the people of Matson more say in the delivery of services and with housing there would be a stronger consulting voice."

And voices will really be heard when the paper doesn't even give readers a chance to comment on the story.

On 31/08/2017 at 1:16 PM, Joe Kilker said:

Actually, compared with Barton & Tredworth, it's fairly easy to see where much, if not most, of that money goes. The Redwell Centre, Together In Matson, an actual carved statue (like the 'Wonders' in Age of Empires, a statue seems to be a basic requirement to signal an engaged community, and its absence is notable here), in a well maintained park. Even the sheep don't seem to be a problem.

Matson Park is not that well maintained, the main path through the park has virtually disappeared in places and is very boggy in others. 

I take your point about the Redwell Centre, Together In Matson, etc. To be honest I hadn't realised they were in receipt of that kind of funding, I thought it was much smaller amounts. I frequently look at the noticeboard outside the Redwell Centre and rarely see anything to interest me and even if I do find something it is usually happening when I'm at work.  

I never can seem to find out anything about where all announced funding for Matson goes - I'd appreciate any pointers you might have on "following the money".