Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gloster_Wolf

General Election - June 8th

189 posts in this topic

The Lib Dems go from bad to worse

THE LIBERAL DEMOCRAT’S election campaign spokesman has bizarrely claimed British voters “have never had a referendum on Brexit”.

The referendum we had, no one could tell you what Brexit meant. Today, no one can tell you what Brexit meant.

“We’ve never actually had a referendum on Brexit, because there’s been no Brexit deal.”

According to Nick Clegg the fact everyone said Leave means leaving Single Market in TV interviews doesn't matter...

16 hours ago, Joe Kilker said:

On the plus side, it seems that tomorrow's first county council meeting since the elections on the 4th will be webcast. I wonder if the city council will follow suite?

https://gloucestershire.public-i.tv/core/portal/webcast_interactive/286098#

Just a quick update on this. It turns out that, unbeknownst to me, the county council have been webcasting their meetings since last June. As I tweeted, it's surprising that county councillors who are also city councillors haven't pushed for the same thing at North Warehouse. As the set to after 48 mins suggested, it would clarify a lot of misunderstandings...

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

The Lib Dems go from bad to worse

THE LIBERAL DEMOCRAT’S election campaign spokesman has bizarrely claimed British voters “have never had a referendum on Brexit”.

The referendum we had, no one could tell you what Brexit meant. Today, no one can tell you what Brexit meant.

“We’ve never actually had a referendum on Brexit, because there’s been no Brexit deal.”

According to Nick Clegg the fact everyone said Leave means leaving Single Market in TV interviews doesn't matter...

I'm now hearing about 'extreme Brexit', never mind 'hard'. Diet Brexit, anyone?

Hi

Doesn't answer my point though. You chose to cherry pick an ORB poll that suited you, whilst there was one recently which wouldn't.

After the last election and Referendum polls I wouldn't put too much faith in any of them.

As someone one said "there is only one poll that matters".

We'll see.

Thanks

Paul Harries

It wasn't cherry picked. It is hardly my fault if you don't know the company and I did post the very latest yougov one from the BBC and that confirmed it

On the other hand Paul you will be able to enjoy a spiff

Michael Crick ripped into the Lib Dem leader after he announced his party manifesto and outlined plans to introduce a tax on cannabis.

The journalist branded the idea “extraordinary” but the pro-EU politician insisted it was about “balancing the books”.

Crick said: “You reckon you can raise £1bn a year from a cannabis tax, I mean this is extraordinary – so your economic plans are dependent on people smoking cannabis?”

2 hours ago, PaulHarries said:

As someone one said "there is only one poll that matters".

As long as it's not the referendum poll (as someone else said).

Hi

Just pointed out that the poll people you listed showed that just over half the voters would vote remain today.,

Bit too late for another Referendum now. Then again, I'm sure that many tories don't agree with the conservative manifesto pledge to ensure paying for care homes (increasing threshold to pay to £100,000), even if it means their children having to sell the family home to pay for it.

Seems we can all disagree with elements of manifestos.

As an aside - first case I had as an advocate for GOPA was an elderly couple in care. He had money, and was paying for care. She did not and the state paid. The Council wanted them to sell their house so she could pay out the proceeds. Even though it would mean evicting their son, making him homeless, Council backed down from that one,

Under the proposed Tory rules, the house would be sold regardless, unless the couple's estate could pay for their care. Leaving their so without a place to live

Then again, forcing hundreds of thousands of families with parents dependent on care to sell their homes would put more places on the market. Is this the Tory plan to sort the housing shortage?

The Daily Mail headline that you won't have to sell your home to pay for care costs, is misleading. It's your children who will have to sell the family home, (unless they've got the money themselves)

Thanks

Paul Harries

4 minutes ago, PaulHarries said:

Bit too late for another Referendum now

Your dear leader has it in the lib dems manifesto. On the other hand Paul you will be able to enjoy a spiff

Under the proposed Tory rules, the house would be sold regardless, unless the couple's estate could pay for their care. Leaving their so without a place to live

Dead people don;t need a place to live

Hi

As I said many, many times, I don't accept EVERYTHING  my 'dear leader' proposes.

As for 'dead people don't need a place to live' I'm sure many hundreds of thousands of those under care right now would not agree with you wanting to sell their homes, making their families homeless. What next? Do you propose that those undergoing expensive treatment for stroke or cancer should repay the NHS for their care too? That would raise more billions, though be sure that Tories would never get elected again in our lifetimes,

Paul Harries

As for the cannibis thing I don't smoke. It's not the cannibis that's the main problem - it's the fools who think smoking an unfiltered cigarette is OK. Haven't they read the warnings?

(Spliffs are just unfiltered cigarettes)

The costings were done by government and include about £200 million savings on the police. Be a good time to invest in convenience foods though! (Munchies)!

Thanks

Paul Harries

3 minutes ago, PaulHarries said:

(Spliffs are just unfiltered cigarettes)

I do wonder if you ever go out. It is a common name for a joint.

What next? Do you propose

Don't try and put words in my mouth. 

Hi

I've known what a spliff is for decades, bu no, I hardly go out now since my stroke. Thanks for asking,

Wasn't trying to put words into your mouth. The idea that families should sell their homes, even if their children still live in them is horrendous idea. My facetious suggestion was tongue in cheek, trying to show just how stupid the manifesto pledge was. Sure to be a vote loser, same as the proposal for yet another referendum. (Though there probably enough misguided people in both camps who'd agree with them).

Plus now people would have to pay for their care if their TOTAL assets come in £100,000 or more. Even after death.

There must be a better way?

Thanks 

Paul Harries

To be fair Paul, the spiff remark was a mickey take. I'm sure there are many things we agree on but there is 1 major difference between us.

I am not a member of any political party and haven't been since I was a young Liberal but you are a fully paid up member of a party that has stood for election under that banner so presumably you would support your parties manifesto. I can't think of anything dafter than basing your costings on staying in the EU and a tax on cannabis.

Having said that, this year I will be voting Conservative. 

Hi

Not everyone agrees on everything in their part's manifesto

That's why there are party conferences and votes. I remember once going to a regional conference and being the only one to speak out against a silly policy. I agreed with everything else, just not that.

Good that we vote and discuss our differences. The alternative is a dictatorship. Neither of us want that. May we always have right to agree to disagree!

Long live the Democracy!

Paul Harries

Eddie likes this