PaulHarries

windows 10 Critical Error Your Start Menu ......

6 posts in this topic

Hi

Keep getting the "Critical error your start menu isn't working message. It appears in a pane in middle of screen and is unmovable. It asks you to log out & resign in.

Miicrosoft well aware since 31st July 2015 (on their own site) and don't seem to be doing anything about it. Several people have posted convoluted work arounds, including creating new accounts and transferring all data across, but not even this always works.

I'm not a programmer and much of the supposed solutions are beyond me. Have reported it, but Trading Standards say since it's a free upgrade, it's at our risk.

Anyone else have same problem? It's making my PC unusable.

Looks like I'll have to do a complete wipe of my HDD and reinstall Windows 8 (Which worked just fine).

Thanks

Paul Harries

If you do wipe the disk I would put Win 10 on in a clean install. Otherwise try my Geek Friend.

Shouldn't this post be under "PC Problems & Tips"?

I hope you resolve your problem soon Paul. FWIW I would suggest you stick with Windows 10. All systems have some bugs but returning to Windows 8 will likely cause you further problems down the road when it becomes less and less supported.

Hi

Had to go back to Windows 10 a few months back. Seems to work OK now.

Thanks

Paul Harries

I ust confess that Win 10 has speeded up restarts and I have had no problems at all with it

Hi

Well, they seemed to have sorted out the earlier problems that were posted on their own website. (400+ last I checked) Seems much more stable now, too. 

Thanks

Paul Harries