Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PaulHarries

"Most disporopotionate election in history"?

Question

Hi

Just received an email from the Electoral Reform Society, here's an excerpt:

"It’s official: this election was the most disproportionate in UK history. We’ve just released our new report on the May 7th General Election, 'A Voting System in Crisis'.

And it makes for worrying reading for fans of democracy.

The report, launched today, has already hit the headlines, with ERS Chief Executive Katie Ghose appearing on BBC Breakfast, the Today programme, Daily Politics, Radio 5 Live, Sky, ITN and Channel 5 to discuss it already.

We found: 50% of votes in the election (15m) went to losing candidates, while 74% of votes (22m) were ‘wasted’ – i.e. they didn't contribute to electing the MP 2.8m voters were likely to have voted ‘tactically’ – over 9% of voters Under a more proportional voting system – the Single Transferable Vote – the Conservatives would have won 276 seats to Labour’s 236, while the SNP would have secured 34, UKIP 54 and the Lib Dems 26. The Greens would have won two more seats – in Bristol and London The ERS was able to call the winner correctly in 363 of 368 seats - a month before polling day - due to the prevalence of ‘safe seats’ under First Past the Post

This election saw an MP win on the lowest vote share in electoral history – 24.5% in South Belfast 331 of 650 MPs were elected on under 50% of the vote, and 191 with less than 30% of the electorate. - See more at: http://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/blog/system-crisis#sthash.GCVzv0rf.dpuf"

(I reformatted it for easier reading).

The link is here: http://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/blog/system-crisis

According to them the Single Transferable Vote (STV) system puts candidates in order of preference and would have given results as follows:

Con 276

Lab 236

UKIP 54

SNP 34

Lib Dem 26

Greens 3

Plaid Cymru 3

Personally, I think it would have been much more accurate this system, ensuring a result that reflects the way we actually voted. Especially on anniversary of Magna Carta!

What do people here think?

I'm looking at joining the ERS. If anyone else is the link is above.

Thanks

Paul Harries
PS I'm off to Runneymede on June 15th to celebrate Magna Carta, anyone else going?
PPS In interests of Full Disclosure - I was one of those YouGov contacted for the survey.

1 answer to this question

Hi

Apologies for the misspelling in title.

I'm a bit dyslexic when it comes to typing.....

Thanks
Paul Harries