Vanda

Cats need shooting

53 posts in this topic

We have never had problems with cats in our garden because we had Pixel to keep them at bay.As many of you know we lost her a couple of years ago.

I have hedges on one side of our garden and 6 foot fences on the other side.

Recently we have had cats coming into the garden and "doing their business" in the recently turned soil.

I went out a couple of weeks ago and brought a packet of stuff you sprinkle around the garden to keep them out. I cut the top off the packet and was bowled over by the smell - strong garlic. It didn't keep them out but the garden reaked of the stuff and it kept us in the house for a few days.

I have placed bamboo poles along the top of the fences to try and deter them. No luck. So I have now strung CD's over the side gate where there is a bit of a gap and along the side path.

I even tried one of those "Electronic Devices" which didn't seem to work - perhaps the cats are deaf!

Apart from getting a shot gun has anyone else got any suggestions to keep the damm things out?

:wallbash:

G'day Vanda,

Have you thought about another dog?

Nobby :hehe:

We do miss the dogs. The problem is lazy owners. My mother in law has cats and they have been trained to do their business at home, so it is down to laziness or selfishness

I would love another dog but not just to keep the cats at bay. I have put Jeyes fluid down on all the concrete but to no avail.

The next thing I shall try is strong chilli powder and maybe barred wire on top of the fences. Might even spread "Vic Vapour rub" on top of the fences. :Evil_1::Evil_1::Evil_1:

Since we lost our dogs we have had the same problem ,Don't get me wrong i like cats but not the mess they leave behind in your garden ! Is horrid and we will soon have grandson in garden and you know what kids are like . I have tried assorts of things the best at the moment is a water pistol super soaker Just water so don't hurt them !

They are not even covering the mess over !

Ps i did have a cat for 17 years -Found in sack on railway line on my way home years ago

And he was trained as Ed says first with a litter box slowly moving it in to a spot in garden where he went for the rest of his life !

I like cats too but not when they mess in my garden. I am not at home during the day but a super dooper water pistol seems great for the weekends. This one even poos on my patio.

This cat used to be an indoors one until a little while ago and that is when the problem started. They only have grass and a decking area so maybe they could put a litter tray somewhere in the garden.

I shall have to go round and have a few words. :icon_biggrin:

Trouble is i find more people are getting cats i have counted eight in out garden at one time is horrid to even clean it up worse than a dog

I hate it when I am gardening and go to pull up a weed only to find myself covered in cat poo. Yuk :Evil_1:

I might have to borrow a local dog for a day or try some Silent Roar Lion Manure - Cat Repellant

Yea that smell you can't get rid of AGH

I hope you find a cure if you do let me know !!!

post-124-0-23623700-1395163875_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-53435000-1395163958_thumb.jpg

Seriously we wouldnt be cruel to any animal, but I can see from Gracelands answers we are far from the only people who hate to see piles of smelly poo in the garden. I can't think of any other pet that this would be tolerated from.

post-124-0-54612100-1395170952_thumb.jpg

Yes It is not nice we had our fence come down in the bad weather and a fox was able to enter.He did his mess in our garden dug a fair size hole and used it but once fence was back it was stopped ! But you can't do this with cats they still get in over the fence .Why should non cat owners have to have it

Cats are Lovely pets but need cleaning up after like Dogs train them please

Indeed Graceland. A lady said she didnt believe that cats can be trained, but that is just not true. a quick google search dispells that myth. People have even trained their cats to go on their toilet.

It looks to me as if you are unlucky enough to live at the junction between at least two cat territories. Cats like to position their 'business' where it will annoy and deter rivals, and that's why they often leave it uncovered. Of course, dogs like to do much the same, but they can't get into other people's gardens so easily.

I have a dog that is a serious threat to any cat that can't scoot out of his way quickly enough, and yet I still get cats coming into my garden.

We only have a problem with the one cat. The house on the other side of the cat has a dog and the cat did venture out into thier garden once and was attacked by the dog. I think that is why it comes over the other fence to us.

Ah, possibly it is leaving messages for the dog, then! :hehe:

G'day Vanda,

I just had an idea.

Why not cut some dog shapes out of plywood and paint them.

Move them around the garden, daily and see if that puts the moggy off.

Nobby. :hehe:

That's a good idea but there is a problem :tounge2: Eddie's handiwork leaves a little to be desired, the dog shape would end up looking like a 6 legged prehistoric animal.

You can buy black metal garden cat silhouette's

which have shiny eyes which are meant to scare off other cats but I don't really want to scare off the birds.

A local shop up the road from us sells life size dog and fox figures so again that might work.

At the moment the string of cd's seems to be working.

We were successful with an electronic device, until it went wrong and the NEIGHBOUR was complaining that the noise was there 24/7. I couldn't even hear it. It was effective though. One other thought if they target the same area, pepper. I once poured loads down in the area we kept having them do their thing, that did work but for a limited time until it rained. I'v just remembered I also bought a bait catapult from a fishing shop and fired non lethal half house bricks at them.

G'day Val,

Another place you could try is a Sports Store. If they sell Archery Gear, you can buy printed pictures of full size coloured pictures of animals (Foxes Included) and stick them onto a backing sheet.

These targets are used in Field Archery and are very realistic and being paper targets, they are cheap. (Some of the bird targets are really CHEEP!!! :lol:)

Nobby. :hehe:

Mmmm, well there's a thought, perhaps a bow and arrow but I don't know that I could aim at the cat and would probaly end up killing Ed :omg:

I found holly cuttings on the bare earth stops them and sticks stuck in ground