Eddie

Dripping Cakes

112 posts in this topic

A chap on another board asked how to make dripping cakes ( sometimes known as lardy cakes )

450g (1lb) Strong White Flour

300ml (½ pint) Lukewarm Milk

225g (8oz) Currants

110g (4oz) Sultanas

50g (2oz) Sugar

25g (1oz) Lard

25g (1oz) Fresh Yeast

1 tsp Salt

Filling

110g (4oz) Lard

110g (4oz) Soft Brown Sugar

1 level tsp Ground Mixed Spice

Mix the sieved flour and salt together, rub in the lard.

Dissolve the sugar in a little of the milk and use to mix the yeast into a smooth thin paste, then add to the remaining water.

Make a well in the centre of the flour and pour in the liquid.

Mix together well until it becomes a smooth, elastic dough.

Shape into a ball and place in a warmed lightly greased bowl, cover and leave in a warm place for 30 minutes to allow it to rise.

Lightly knead the currants and sultanas into the dough.

Allow the dough to rest for 10 minutes.

Mix together the soft brown sugar, lard and mixed spice for the filling.

Roll the dough into a long rectangle approx. 45cm by 15cm (18 ins by 6ins)

Spread the filling over two thirds of rectangle 45cm by 10cm (18 ins by 4ins).

Fold the section which has no filling into the centre of the rectangle and then the remaining section to the centre.

Roll out the dough again to the same size as previously.

Starting at the short side 15cm (6ins), roll as if a swiss roll.

Cut the roll in half to produce two pieces each 9cm (3 ins) wide.

Place each piece in a well-greased round 15cm (6ins) round baking tin, cover and leave in a warm place for 35 - 40 minutes to allow them to rise

Preheat oven to 200°C: 400°C: Gas 6 and bake for 35 - 40 minutes.

Turn out immediately and pour over the hot filling to form a glaze.

Warning: The filling will be very hot, so be careful. :D

;)Yea that's the stuff, Eddie.

I make mine without the mixed spice in the way of the last great dripper shop, Sparkes.

All them health food freaks can take a hike... Bring on the lard.

What about Spark's Honey Buns. ANyone know if thay are still made?

What about Spark's Honey Buns. ANyone know if thay are still made?

Na. You can't get them anymore since Sparkes closed, but it's essentially the same mixture as the dripper. Just substitute the lard for butter mixed with loads of honey and no currants, but tons of sultanas.

That's done it... Me mouths watering.. Time to raid the fridge.

Born in Gloucester 1938. Live in Australia 35 years looking for dripping cake recipe

before Sparkes. 1940s Denley dripping cakes were great, later Carter & Wilson

what a treat they were. Will try this recipe let you know how they turn out.

Attended Crypt Grammer, lousy student.

remember rock and roll and the good times no drugs not to much drink but we did smoke.good memories. remember the song we are the Gloucester Boys.

Remember the song we are the Gloucester Boys.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep.. 'We know are manners, we spend our tanners, we are respected wherever we may go' (or something like that).

You'll find a few Crypt blokes and one Tommy on here. Personally I wouldn't have much to do with 'em.

Anyway Dad, welcome to the Gloucestershire Boards. Why not register and become a full member? - Tis Free ya know.

Dad,

Join us we have built up quite a lot of Gloucester memories, any mention like Sparks (did do a week on one of his vans about 1965 ) help to open doors in the memory bank

John B

Hi all as you can see i have joined, i hope to be able to contribute to this site will be looking in from time to time. regards dad

Welcome Dad,

We are a friendly bunch here, and you are very welcome. :D

:)Great to see you as a member, Dad.

Don't just pop in from time to time as there is always something of interest here and, form time to time, we also put the world to right.

Hi there "Dad",

Welcome to the Board. We are a fun-loving bunch of mostly locals and ex-Pats who all have so many great memories of our childhoods in Gloucestershire. We have become great friends (thank you again Eddie, Supreme Webmaster, for bringing us all together).

I don't know where you are situated now, however: I live in San Diego, California; Ren lives in Hong Kong; Nobby and Stuart live in Australia; Ted B., John B., Orion and Bee live in Gloucestershire (as do Eddie and Vanda) and Doughnut lives in Bournemouth. Dennis The Menace (Peter) lives in Ontario, Canada, and every once in a while we will hear from others - Emma, from Arizona comes to mind and possibly R & R (Rock and Roll), but nobody is really sure where he lives, or even if he is real - did I mention that we do like to have fun?

I'm pretty sure that I am going to hear from R & R soon as to his whereabouts so please stay tuned. We would all love to hear from you again. Once again, welcome to the Board and please tell us something about yourself if you have a mind to.

Valerie :)

p.s. Hi again "Dad". I just re-read your first post and see that you live in Australia. East Coast, or West Coast? Nobby and Stuart live very close to each other in the Gold Coast area and my brother lives a little north of them on the Sunshine Coast, just outside of Brisbane.

p.p.s. You can take the girl (or guy) out of Gloucester, but you can't take Gloucester out of the girl (or guy)!

Valerie :D

:) Hi dad welcome i know that you will enjoy the room, as Valerie said myself and nobby live on the gold coast whick i expect you have heard of..lol , icame down here just after you in 1972... 32 years living in Sydney , Tamworth and now the gold coast. :)

:) PS i was just thinking when i was home in 2002 i got some dripping cakes down west gate street across the road from the army navy stores....stuart

Well I haven't said this since 1964 (when mine died)

Hello Dad.

As Stuart said, we both live on the Gold Coast QLD.

I am also the "Thommies" boy, as proven by the fact that I can spell the shortened version of Sir Thomas Rich's Grammar School For Boys correctly. (Shame Orion, Shame).

My eldest brother (Terry Gardner) would have been in your year or one before at Crypt, as he was born in '37.

Anyway, welcome to the BB and hope you have more to say. B)

<_< Oh rats... Hangs head in shame.

:) PS i was just thinking when i was home in 2002 i got some dripping cakes down west gate street across the road from the army navy stores....stuart

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

also in variety looking for pantomime scripts with pommy humour

Welcom Dad:

I am Emma from Arizona. I was born in Gloucester but taked to London aged 6 months. Mother was born and raised in Glos. she had 10 brothers and sisters and all of them are still there...name was Holder...anyone know them??? I have 32 cousins in Glos.

Anyway, on the ex-pats site I did ask about getting some pictures put on this site but i don't know how too, anyone reading this can give instructions...i will check in tomorrow...i was just reading bout the lardy cakes...forgotten all about them (thank god, my hips are pleased)

Welcome Dad, this site is a lot of fun!!

Emma

Hi Emma,

I went to school with a Nobby Holder, but all I can remember is the name.

The lardy cakes in the Westgate St shop are still good. Near the Cornish Pasty Shop, don't know the name. Oh yum! (am I sick of Chinese food!)

Hi Emma

Welcome on board

To put pictures with your posting; After you've written your message if you scroll down a little below the message box you will see a box that says 'Browse'

Click on this box which will enable you to look through you computer files to find where you have the pictures stored. Double click on the appropriate file which will put it into the box to the left of 'Browse' The just click on 'Add This Attachment' Pictures stored as ".jpg" files seem to work best

post-22-1104660126.jpg

post-22-1104660126.jpg

Yep. can go along with that Emma. This is getting more and more a group of people who enjoy meeting up and having some fun and some serious conversations.

The only addition I would make to what TedB has said is that you need to take care re. the sizer of the image. That is where you might need a little help. You need to use a programme such as Photoshop or one of the versions of that and then look at the Image size. Bring it down so that the image is about 250 pixels wide. Get someone to show you, because it is actually so easy to do and will make it easy to attach to the BB.

Going back on topic here for a mo ,, :)

I Would like to say last week end i had a chat with Mr and Mrs Sparkes.

And they are getting on but still well :)

I am new here and found you all while looking for a recipe for dripping cakes. I was born in Cheltenham and now live in Oklahoma and am just dying for a dripping cake. I used to get them at Leopolds bakery and they were the best. I doubt mine will come out near as good but I'm going to give it a whirl anyway.