Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eddie

Permission granted for 58 new Matson homes

5 posts in this topic

NEW homes for Matson were given the green light by city council planners last night who agreed on 58 new homes to be built on land next to the Hallmark Hotel.

Despite opposition from some residents, who claimed they had not been fully consulted, councillors unanimously backed the plan by Persimmon Homes.

“I can understand the concerns of residents, but there will be less chance of flooding and there is a need for affordable homes,” he said.

The development will see £100,000 invested into sports facilities and a further £36,180 spent on improving bus routes. Each house will get a £100 voucher towards a new bike to encourage householders to leave their car at home.

Sarah Robinson, a resident of Redwell Road, said: “This isn't a good development, Matson park is a beautiful place this site will only be to its detriment.

“In addition resources will be stretched further, cramming small houses into unsuitable sites is not the way to rejuvenate the area, it will only cause overcrowding.”

Carl Haley, managing director for Persimmon Homes Severn Valley, said a full consultation had been completed with residents affected by the development, and reduced in size as a result.

“The site was given outline planning permission in June 2012 for up to 67 units,” he said.

“The outline application was the subject of public consultation, which provided local residents with various opportunities to comment on the scale and nature of the proposals.

“We have listened to people’s objections and comments regarding the site and have addressed any issues in our full planning application as they relate to design, layout, appearance and landscaping.”

Citizen

On 12/06/2013 at 0:00 PM, Eddie said:

Each house will get a £100 voucher towards a new bike to encourage householders to leave their car at home

Now that this development has been finished it is a curious thing that there's no cyclepath linking the development to Matson. They've put footpaths in (connecting to the park) but these are too small to be dual use. For example there's this path to nowhere (there's no legal access into the hotel from here):

IMAG0134.thumb.jpg.d7090535a7e29f71abd80IMAG0135.thumb.jpg.043cc14c3d71c76b3d493They also failed to restore a public footpath they blocked up during the development. As far as I am aware this footpath has not been extinguished.

£100 for each resident? I suppose that was for the residents of the new houses, as I have received nothing. Also, blocking existing rights of way should be challenged.

Unfortunately money talks loudest.

Eddie likes this

Yes, I think the voucher was for those buying the new houses to try to encourage cycling. Unfortunately there's no cyclepaths in Matson at all, though Matson Lane and Sneedhams Road are both now part of a cycle route but there's a lamentable lack of information about that cycle route.

I'll have to go back and have a look to see if they unblocked the right of way that was blocked up during the development. 

I had a quick look at that footpath today and while the original course has not fully been restored, you can get to the park from Matson Lane.