Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vanda

Could this year's Barton Fair be the last?

6 posts in this topic

THE annual Barton Fair will be held in St James' Park in Tredworth again this year – but will it be the last one ever?

Tony Ward, of the Barton and Tredworth Community Partnership, is stepping down from organising the event this year, leaving the fair's future in doubt.

The event will be held at St James' Park on Saturday, April 6 for what will be the fifth year in a row.

Historically it was held in Barton Street which was closed off especially for the occasion.

This came to an end after spiralling costs meant another location had to be found.

Mr Ward said conversations are ongoing in a bid to preserve the event's future. He said: "I will be standing down when this one is over and I am talking to St James' Church to see if they would like to take it on.

"Hopefully something can be sorted out as it would be such a shame to lose the event.

"I know people would like to see it back in Barton Street, but that just isn't feasible anymore."

Gloucester city councillor Said Hansdot (Lab. Barton and Tredworth) hopes someone will step in to take on the planning of the event.

He said: "I really hope a solution can be found to keep it going. It is always really popular and it brings lots of people to the area.

"It's good for the shops too.

"But in an ideal world I would like to see it in Barton Street. It is called the 'Barton' Fair therefore it should be in Barton.

"We are working with police and the council to try and bring it back next year."

The annual celebration plays host to dozens of attractions for all ages and a number of stalls selling various wares.

Gloucester city councillor Usman Bhaimia (L, Barton and Tredworth) said: "I do fear that it may stop happening and that would be a huge shame.

"Speaking to people in the area, they do want it back in Barton Street, it would be great if we could make it happen."

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/year-s-Barton-Fair/story-18521058-detail/story.html#axzz2OdYglHLl

I thought that the fair was supposed to be organised by the Court Leet of Barton Saint Mary. There's not a huge amount else that they do, after all.

Hi

And I wasn't even informed!

Paul Harries

Hi

Went round to support the event earlier. Not much happening -a few kids with the bouncy castles, the community police were there in strength with their displays, etc. Nice sunshine - hope more locals attend later (I went just after it started at 11.00am)

Turns out this wasn't the Barton Fayre - just the annual St James' Park event,

However, there was talk of a Barton Fayre event next year, along the lines of the old event with Barton St being closed. If it can be organised. Just an idea out there at the moment, but if I hear any news I'll post it here.

Thanks

Paul Harries

Well, they have lovely weather for it.

I think that I read somewhere that they are planning a new-look Barton Fair in September. I suspect that it will be like this fun day, i.e. not much interest except to children.

Hi

Think that might be September 2014 from talks I had at the fayre.

They're hoping to revert back to the old format of closing Barton St, but as I said. It's early days.

Thanks

Paul Harries