Eddie

Welcome

183 posts in this topic

This board has been set up especially for ex pats to chat. :D

Well folks, seeing how I am leading this board (with no instructions) one wonders where it will go.

So I'll start with a bit about me.

Born 4 Finlay Road, Gloucester, 01.07.51 (Tax Day wist )

Now living Mudgeeraba, Gold Coast QLD Australia.

I wake up each day and count my blessings that a twist of fate and a messy divorce could land me in a country, with a job that saw me medically retired at 47 and in a fairly easy lifestyle.

I also miss, many days, my old haunts in the uk, the pubs, the scene and the countryside.

I am now 53 years old and have made a fair few friends on the coast, I fish regular, have a few beers with mates regular and have good times.

As I have said, I do miss the old country, quite often and if I ever win the lotto, we will have a place (6 months about in UK &OZ0

UNTIL THEN, JUST KEEP WISHING. ;););)

Oh come on, four days have passed and not one reply.

I know that I am not the only Ex Pat out here.

How about some help here, it is a bit embarrassing when you have to reply to yourself.

How about, How I Fill My Day, in (Hong Kong, San Deago, Canada, Mermaid Waters ect)

Nobby :angry::angry::angry::(

Bee for you take out the Gold for free style sarcasm.

Why not start us off with your background, to show the ex-pats what is required. ;)

;) Well here's my story ....4week's late but there you are blame the post man...

Born in nursing home in clarence street 10th may 1942 ( with bomb's whistling around my ear's) then moved to 54 springwell garden's churchdown the next move @ the age of 2 1/2 was to 59 bristol road to take care of my grandparents , staying there for the next 24 years, during that finishing my schooling @ linden road ( high school)? and doing my apprentiship @ fielding & platt also joining the merchant navy and last but not least getting married after which moving to upton hill ( rose cottage) and then onward's and up wards off to Australia 1972 living in sydney .. tamworth... and now living on the gold coast queensland , we have two children peter who with be 38 on the 4th /9 / and michaela she is 36 and 5 grandchildren...4 boy's 1 girl... so endeth my story so far ... :)

Hi Stuart,

It's so good to see you back again - I've missed you. I will, maybe, get around to posting my family history eventually.

How are things in OZ? It's hotter than Hades here right now since it's our summer and your winter. My brother, who lives fairly close to you and Nobby, is planning to visit me next year about this time of the year. I am trying to discourage him since it is so HOT here right now and he could come a little earlier or a little later and the temperatures wouldn't be quite so bad. Don't get me wrong, I really love my brother and my sister-in-law, they are really, really nice people and I wish that I could spend more time with them but not in the heat of August or September here. I don't even like spending time with myself here in this awful heat. I have to admit that July and August (which are normally unbearable) were fairly bearable this year but September has come in roaring like a Lion in heat and we still have 29 more days to go. Hopefully October wll behave as normal and we will start to cool off again.

"Talk" to you soon.

Valerie B)

hi Valerie thank's for the welcome.. Well the weather down here is about 26c not too bad for the end of winter and just got a bit of long over due rain and like you my computer has been down window's froze had to go back to Micro soft to fix that problem , but then no internet ,had to call in bigpond , my carrier and they found that because my signal was so strong it was beating my computer to the start? they reduced my signal power256 back to 43 where in should be and took my computer of auto start so all's well at the moment.... :D

G'day Valerie and Stuart and thank you for both postings. That's the sort of things we want.

Valerie, you temps cant be any worse than the ones we get in Jan/Feb, it was the first time I got into a pool with a floppy 'at on and the top water burnt you.

If you brother in law doesn't live too far away, put him in touch with us via P.M. and we will meet up for a beer or two.

What say you Stuart.

A beer did you say Nobby ,sound's a good idea ,maybe valeries bother could fly out coolangatta and we could send him off on his wobbly way lol... anyway or just say Hello.... ;)

I feel a little left out here, does Charlton Kings count as foreign??

Otherwise please excuse me for butting in. Nice to see back on line

Stuart.

Back to the sundowner.

John B

;) Charlton King's yes that is of a foreign origin and Hello john B , please don't feel left out Or right out ...lol just butt in as you please.... :rolleyes:

Hi John, Stuart and Nobby:

John, of course Charlton Kings is foreign territory, so welcome to the ex-Pat's board!

Nobby - it's my brother, not brother-in-law. When I said that they live fairly close to you I didn't mean it literally. They live on the Sunshine Coast, near Mudjimba (at least that's their post office address). They actually live in an area known as Twin Waters Resort although the last time I heard from my brother (I owe him an e-mail) they were thinking about moving. They have some really good friends in the neighbourhood but they do have the wierdest neighbours on either side and their house was broken into last year and they lost a lot of valuable stuff. This is an expensive area in which they live but apparently there quite a few druggies who always need more money to feed their habit.

I don't know about the temperatures where you and Stuart live but I do remember reading years ago that Sydney, Johannesburg and San Diego are very similar in temperature, location (on the ocean) and in design.

I tripped over "Hey Dawg" the other day and sprained both my wrists. Naturally, since I am right-handed, I came down hardest on my right wrist so I'm supposed to be wearing one of those ugly (and uncomfortable) splints 24/7. I took it off yesterday evening because my younger grandson needed help with a school project and I spent hours typing up some stuff for him. I really paid for it today since my wrists were so sore that I just sat on my rear-end and watched mostly mindless T.V. almost all day. This is not a plea for sympathy but just to let you know that I would be typing more if I could but I really have to go out tomorrow and buy some dog food for "Hey Dawg" and I need my hands not to hurt too much (although my new car has power steering which will make it easier to negotiate). He is a really sweet, good-natured and obedient dog but he does have a tendency to follow you everywhere and come to rest right by your feet.

Since I am on the subject of my younger grandson (well, sort of) do any of you know of a website where I can find information about British medals? The school project is something along the lines of "do you have anybody in your family who has done something really interesting?" so I mentioned to him that his great great grandfather fought during the Boer War and was one of 50 out of 150 who survived the Battle of Modderfontein. My grandfather was given the Queen Victoria Medal by King Edward himself and then I got to thinking - if the King himself actually pinned the medal on my grandfather then maybe it's an important medal. Fortunately I have a very, very old newspaper cutting that reports this so it's not some flight of fancy on the part of relatives. The article also mentioned that my great great grandfather fought at Waterloo and was specially recognised for bravery (I hadn't heard that before). My grandfather and his brothers racked up quite a few medals between them during the Boer War and WWI and seem to have been a very courageous bunch. Then I got to remembering that my father was part of the team that invented Radar during WWII. He didn't invent Radar but was part of the support team. Hunter (younger grandson) was ecstatic and it made me feel really good that these men were finally getting some recognition from the younger generation. Oh by the way, I do have the Queen Victoria Medal that my grandfather received, along with some others from WWI. Anyway, if you know of a website, or have an idea of how I can find out about the medal I would really appreciate it.

Now I know that my wrists are going to be aching all day again tomorrow but "Hey Dawg" is still going to expect food.

"Talk" to you soon.

Valerie

They actually live in an area known as Twin Waters Resort

G'day Valerie,

Well that's what you call a small world. We stayed at the Twin Waters Resort on Wednesday night. I wish that you had put the info on the BB before, we could have met up with bro' for a beer.

The resort has a bar called MELS and a couple of rather nice looking restaurants (Lilly's on the Lagoon and Zaniths) neither of which we ate at but had a few bevvies at the bar. We also had a very nice upgrade to a King Size Spa Suite in the Kookaburra section of the resort.

The biggest chuckle was that we picked up the stay at a promo and it only cost us $29 for the night.

As to a website for Boer War medals, try www.regiments.org/wars/medals.htm

there is heaps of good stuff on there for your grandson's project.

Nobby

Thanks Nobby for the information. Hunter will be thrilled - he's already excited about this great great grandfather he never knew about before now (well, he didn't ask so I never thought to volunteer the information).

It's such a shame that I didn't know that you were going to Twin Waters Resort. There's not much that my brother likes more than a good "brew" and I'm sure that you two would have had a good time "dissing" me. I have no idea what the resort looks like (other than some internet views) but Bruce and Pat live near a golf course (they are both "golf nuts") and he has sent me some photos of their backyard where there appears to be a river running right behind their garden and they have an awful lot of waterfowl visiting them. Maybe you know the area I am talking about?

I still "owe" Bruce an e-mail so I will have to get to it pretty soon before he has to make another long-distance phone call to see if I am still in the Land of the Living.

Congratulations on getting such a good rate at the resort - every once in a while we can get a really good deal like that here too.

"Talk" with you soon.

Valerie

p.s. I did go out and buy dog food for "Hey Dawg", otherwise I would have had to share my dinner with him and I wasn't about to do that. B)

Thanks Valerie and as I "said", if bro' is down this way, let me know. Stuart and I will have a "coldie" with him.

Hi Nobby,

I did get your "private" e-mail - thanks so much. I really enjoyed searching through the "medal site" - found my grandfather's medals on the site and printed out the information for younger grandson and I know that he will be thrilled to have the information. Thanks again.

I will let my brother, Bruce, know ( when I eventually get around to e-mailing him) that he has a warm welcome in your area - Gold Coast, right? Oh by the way, my brother is the wealthy one in the family but he is such a really nice man that I don't hold that against him - he was a rotten litle kid though - amazing how really terrific he turned out to be, and yes I do love him a lot, and I know for sure that he loves me a lot too!).

Valerie :D

Hello All,

I guess i'll start with a little about myself.

Born April 2,1958 in Longford

Emmigrated to Canada in August of 1972

Yep was 14 when I left. have been back to Glos. as often as possible

Have noticed more changes/similarities with Gloucester and my adoptive home town of London, Ontario

Have Canadian Citizenship but still carry a British Passport (European).

Spend most of my spare time playing sport (Rugby, golf, and Hockey(ice))

Spend several nights with me mates at our local "The Scots Korner" or at The Elephant&Castle.

Talk with you later,

Peter aka Dennisthemenace

Good on you DTM,

Next time you are in Longford, try the "Longford Lamb" at the Queens Head (if it's still on the menu) It was lovely.

For a bit of trivia. How did all the pubs and the London Suburb, "The Elephant and Castle" get their name?

Hey Peter - aka DTM,

In case you missed it before, I am a HUGE Ice-Hockey fan - love that game! Also, in case you missed it (because I remember that your life was in quite some turmoil at that time) my husband and I came home from a lovely Panama Canal cruise just about a year ago now to find that San Diego was on fire.

We had heard all the way back home from the Canal that the people in Los Angeles County were having terrible fires but not a word was mentioned about San Diego County. We knew nothing about it until we pulled into port and smelled the smoke. Everybody with cellular (mobile) phones started calling family members and most of us found out that we couldn't even go home - our areas had been evacuated.

It's an awful long story, and I won't bore you with it, but we managed to find a hotel room for the night (the last one in the hotel) and spent the rest of the day and most of the night glued to the T.V. for news. I called my daughter, who lives in a different part of San Diego, and who just happens to have a very good friend who is a firefighter and he reassured her that our home was still standing but it was touch and go since our part of San Diego was the hardest hit in the whole area. We had tried to get to our daughter's house but the freeways in that area were closed off also. I'm so happy to tell you now that many of the 350 homes that were destroyed are almost completely rebuilt and the trees that were left standing are exhibiting new growth. I can also tell you that none of us will be quite so devil may care in the future. We never thought that it could happen to us but it did. Not a pleasant experience as you well know.

"Talk" to you soon,

Valerie

G'day Valerie,

That must have been some pretty awful way to return home. I have not had my home that close to a fire, but in 1994, the gaol at Glen Innes came under threat of bush fire (as did most of NSW).

We had 2 major fires near the camp (gaol) and as it was in 20,000 acres of bushland, it was quite concerning.

I was up all night with a number of inmates and staff, fighting the fires.

The first thing I learnt about bush fires is DON'T WEAR RUBBER SOLED BOOTS. wowswowswows

Wow Ren,

Well done! I hadn't a clue, despite the fact that during my last year at Ribston we were researching the guilds but we never got quite that far back in history.

Don't you jut love the Internet - there is so much knowledge out there and it's just a couple of mouse clicks away. Where was it when we really needed it for our GCE's? I suppose that Bill Gates and his cohorts were still in nappies!

Valerie

Hi Nobby,

Yes, that's not the way you want to come home from what was a really nice holiday.

Believe it or not, I'm actually going to be doing that same cruise again this year, although the cruise starts ten days later than it did last year. I'm hoping that lightning (or firestorms) don't hit twice in the same area. The one thing I know for sure is that if there is a hint of a fire in this area the authorities will be on it right away. Apparently, despite the fact that several people called and reported to the California Department of Forestry (CDF) "hey, there's a fire licking at my back fence" they were completely ignored because the fire was not supposed to get as far as our area. It wasn't until a Fire Marshal at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar (which is about 3-1/2 miles west of us) called the CDF and said "Houston (or Scripps Ranch), we have a problem here." What is so sad is that the Marines, who have tons of helicopters over at Miramar, said that they were ready to go and to do anything they could to help. These are U.S. Marines who are ready to go into battle at any time and they have tons of helicopters and helicopter pilots who are familiar with firefighting exercises but the CDF said, in effect, "well, you don't do things the same way we do so we can't use you." Some of those helicopter pilots at Miramar lost their homes in the inferno but were helpless because the CDF stood firm. Needless to say, the CDF is a dirty word now around almost of California and they have finally decided the just maybe (hullo?) the Marines may actually be of some help. There have been some training exercises going on between the two entities and now - guess what? - the Marines can now help out.

You know, it boggles the mind - a large area of San Diego was on fire and people were losing their homes, to say nothing of the 17 lives that were lost in the fires, but we the taxpayers can't get the help we need because government entities are fighting over jurisdiction. Our local firefighters and police did a wonderful job and we are so proud of our heroes, and so greatful to them, but if the California Department of Forestry (CDF) had done the job they were supposed to do there would have been less damage and more than likely no loss of life. Thank God, if this ever happens again we will have those wonderful firefighters and police personnel and they will be backed up by the U.S. Marines while the CDF are sitting around drinking coffee and wondering if maybe they should ask somebody for help because God knows they are useless.

Valerie (once again on a soapbox!).

G'day Ren, well done. Houdah yah do it so quick (sorry , a terrible pun on The Castle on Elephant, but you Mahout of known that I would have a pun somewhere)

Talking of which, did you hear about the guy that placed money on the outcome of ten horseraces, due to the fact that a horse named "PUN" was favourite in each race. He thought that it was too much of a coincidence and that each race would be won by the horse named "PUN"

He lost his shirt (No pun in ten did) :lol::lol:

G'day Valerie,

You know that almost the same thing happened when the terrible bush fires hit Canberra, last year.

Canberra (Which is not only the nation's capital but also the capital of The Australian Capital Territory or ACT) is surrounded by NSW.

The NSW bush fire teams were waiting on the borders of the ACT but could not get the correct authority to enter. So ACT lost over 300 houses.

Go figure. :(