Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eddie

116 abandoned supermarket trolleys piling up in Barton and Tredworth

14 posts in this topic

One hundred and sixteen abandoned supermarket trolleys were found scattered around Barton and Tredworth in just a month

Calls are now being made for supermarkets to foot the bill for their recovery and the knock-on effect the problem is having on communities.

Saj Patel, Conservative city councillor for Barton and Tredworth, says trolleys can hamper road safety and are worsening the flood risk.

"This shocking figure is totally unacceptable and highlights the true extent of the problem blighting the streets and alleyways of Gloucester," he said. "I believe it is time to take a more robust approach to tackle this problem.

"As far as I am concerned, abandoned supermarket trolleys are no different to fly-tipping. They are not only a nuisance, but often abandoned dangerously, compromising safety in residential streets as well as causing damage to cars and other property. They create flooding risk by causing blockages in water courses."

Mr Patel says new measures under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 should be brought in to curb the problem with heavy fines for supermarkets.

"Under the legislation, supermarkets will potentially face a fine for every abandoned trolley," he added. "The fine would cover the costs of removing, storing and disposing of these abandoned trolleys. In my view, imposing such fines will certainly help address this serious problem.

Such policies have already been introduced by other councils across the country.

"It is now time for the supermarkets to take greater responsibility and ownership of their trolleys. They need to improve security levels for their trolleys or face the consequences."

A city council spokesman said: "Following a dog fouling campaign in Barton and Tredworth councillors noticed a number of fly-tipping incidents in the area. They carried out a review of how many shopping trolleys were found, following this the supermarkets concerned have been contacted."

If a trolley is spotted, contractor Trolleywise can be contacted on 0800 3161241 to collect it.

tig

Quote :

"Calls are now being made for supermarkets to foot the bill for their recovery and the knock-on effect the problem is having on communities ".

Hang on a moment - how did these trolleys get there in the first place. The people who steal these trolleys and then abandon them are the ones responsible for this. They should be caught and fined. :Evil_1:

in most of british columbia all shopping carts are attached to each other by a chain, you have to put a coin in a slot and it disconnects the cart from the one in front of it, when you finnish shopping you reattach your cart and your money is returned the coin is usually a dollar most people return cart to get money back

Oddly enough, we have that system here.

It seems really odd; I work in Tredworth, and around the area alot; I can't remember the last time I saw an abandoned trolley nener mind 116; perhaps they're camouflaged.

The new Asda store here apparently have new trolleys that have a battery powered sensor which applies a brake if pushed out of their car park. How do I know? I know of one that was abandoned by a boat yard. Never collected and one of the workers wanted a piece of metal. He chopped it up and they found this device near one of the wheels. All that is hearsay but I don't think I was being wound up with the story.

Hi

Actually there is a walkabout round Barton area checking out abandoned trolleys & fly tipping.

Starts near the refurbished church opposite GL1 at 1.15pm (I think). Local residents, council staff, (possibly PCSO's) and (hopefully) a councillor or two should be there.

Thanks

Paul Harries

Abandoned trolleys are a problem in most places. The token or £1 in the slot doesn't seem to make a difference to some and these ones are often found with the slot broken open.

The ones with the locking wheel, can it would appear, be lifted over the grid that activates them.

Trolleywise do not collect all trolleys, only the ones from the shops that have a contract with them.

I should have said re. the braked trolley, when the person who took it to bits discovered the device, it had a battery in place but the switch was set to OFF!

Hi

There was indeed a walkabout the other day, with two councillors (of different parties) in attendance.

I joined them for a small part of the visit, where we found one trolly. (Just off Barton St)

Thanks

Paul Harries

I'm constantly reporting abandoned trolleys in Tredworth. Most of them are from Asda, but a few weeks ago there was one that belonged to M&S.

The locking wheels don't seem to work very well, as Asda loses dozens every day - they must do, because I see them all of the time, strewn all over Barton, Tredworth and farther afield.

Coin slots can be overcome by a screwdriver, or something of the sort, or Morrison and Lidl wouldn't lose trolleys.

I agree that the removal of trolleys is theft, and those caught with them off-site should be fined. I see stolen supermarket trolleys being used by small shops in Barton & Tredworth. I also see them in people's gardens, sometimes being used as braziers, etc.

Rivers seem to be a favourite place for them. Friend in Holland tells me that they have regular clean outs on their canals by the bridges. Trolleys and many many bikes are the norm. Tesco in Rotherham used to be right beside the river and there was a car park backing on to the river. It would be the norm to see several trolleys in the river which is shallow at that point.

That reminds me that I saw another abandoned Asda trolley in Hatherley Road this afternoon, and I meant to report it to the council, but it had totally slipped my mind by the time that I got home. It is right next to the Sudbrook, so I hope that no-one throws it in. I'm emailing the city council now.

Big problem with reporting them, is that they have wheels and people can't seem to resist playing around with them, so they are rarely in the same place 2 days running!

They should be fitted with some sensor thingy which locks the wheels when taken out of range of the shop/car park