Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vanda

Accosted for taking photos in Gloucester

8 posts in this topic

As many of you know Softdata Internet Limited have recently moved into Westgate Street, Gloucester.

As part of my job I have been updating the website www.fourgatesofgloucester.co.uk by taking photos of shops within the City Centre. We aim to list every shop soon.

Yesterday I decided to go to Kings Walk Shopping Centre and off I went with camera in hand. I wasn't feeling too good as I had a very wobbly front tooth as I have been having dental treatment for a new crown and the temporary one had become very loose since last Friday but as I had another appointment yesterday afternoon I hoped it would be ok. I had tried to eat a sandwich before I set off but it was wholemeal bread and so could only manage a few bites as by this time it was very loose indeed.

Anyway off I went with stomach rumbling, camera and list of shops to photograph in hand.

I arrived in King's Square and started to take some photos. All went well until I reached King's Walk

Shopping Arcade. I took a couple of photos and then noticed that a Lady Security Guard was looking at me whilst talking on her walkie talkie. She then approached me and asked what I was doing. "I'm taking photos for the Four Gates Website" says me handing over a Business Card.

"Can you come with me to see the General Manager of King's Walk Shopping Centre as you are not authorized to take photos" she replies and head hanging in shame, feeling like a criminal with everyone looking at me I followed her out of the Shopping Centre, as we headed towards Clarence Street.

Up a couple of flights of stairs we go until we get to the Management Suite.

Paul Chalmers the General Manager greets us and he asked me what I was doing. "Taking photos for the Four Gates Website" I mumble as by this time my poor tooth is hanging by a thread and I was worried that it would suddenly fall out on the floor.

I handed him by business card, "That's fine" he replied and handed me one of his cards and also printed me out a more recent list of shops for the Arcade. The Security Guard left us to it and off she went. I had a quick chat with Paul and left the building blushing as I went.

I then proceeded back up to the Arcade and continued to take the rest of the photos. I was in a bit of a flap at this point and decided to go back to the office, to tell Eddie my tale of woe and have a strong cup of coffee and maybe a bite to eat.

I tried to eat another bit of sandwich but to no avail so Eddie thought that maybe a "cup of soup" would fill me up a bit more. The problem was that it was minestrone with croutons etc. I couldn't manage the "Bits and pieces floating in it" so just supped the soup itself trying not to swallow my tooth.

I managed to download the photos and update the website with the sarnies looking invitingly at me from the corner of the desk.

3 o'clock came and off I went back to the Dentist to my have new crown fitted - this was the second one as the first one did not fit. I arrived and was looking forward to my bright new shiny tooth and my sandwich once I got back to the office again.

I opened my mouth and the temporary crown just plopped out easily into his hand and he attempted to fit the new shiny one. Well the blasted thing was too small again and the lovely dentist was not happy with it.

"Sorry, but I am going to have to take another impression so you will have to have an injection as well" he says. Bugger there goes my sandwich I think with stomach rumbling. So we have to go through the procedure all over again, 2 impression as the first one was now good.

I get back to the office, sandwich is still looking longingly at me but I can't eat it as my mouth is completely numb by this time but at least the temporary crown is well and truly in place.

At least I could eat my sausages and chips later on in the evening.

Just had another cup of coffee and off I go to photograph a few more shops now, hope I don't get stopped again but I have plenty of business cards in my bag just in case. :sneaky:

Sounds like you had a BIG day, Vanda.

I thought that it was only in Dodgy Countries :ph34r: that you could get into trouble for taking photo's.

Not the Oxbode!!!

Nobby :hehe:

Maybe you should have Paul Chalmer's Tel No, to give the next security guard, or a signed ''Pass'' from him, to show to whoever tackles you, next time that you're taking photos. B)

VANDA, SECRET AGENT. :ph34r:

Nobby :hehe:

It's like we're living in a police state. What are they scared of?

p.s. I believe in Gloucester, but I don't believe in King's Walk.