Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Glawster -Born

Facebook: Our History Groups Gloucester

12 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of deleting my facebook account. The way they change their terms and the interface is dreadful. Another thing that really puts me off is when I pointed out that one of these groups were using copyright material stolen from other sources I got a lot of abuse. One comment even said and I quote " if you don't want me to copy it don't put it on the net"

Apparently I'm a greedy capitalist because I want to be paid for my work

Watching a BBC debate show and they mentioned copyright and pictures etc, posted on Facebook and an expert on copyright laws stated... '' Once you've posted pictures on the internet on sites such as Facebook, then you've virtually given away ALL your copyrights to those pictures. ''

However, no mention as to whether or not you still own the copyrights, if someone else copies and then posts your pictures on any internet sites ?

The point being that I didnt post them, someone else on facebook stole them, so yes they have virtually given away ALL your copyrights to those pictures

To put it into plain English they stole them. The BBC debate upholds what I have been saying. That is because these people dont care where they get their images and refuse to pay for anything. They know that most people cant afford to sue them

The owner always owns the copyright, it is just that so many on facebook refuse to honour that.

I agree Eddie, but it's the stupid laws and the ridiculously high legal costs, plus extortionate lawyers fees on top, which allow these people to pinch your photos etc and post them on websites, such as Facebook and get away with it.

Blame the MP's and the UK's antiquated laws, as well as the greedy lawyers and the broken legal system, which gives criminals and terrorists, more rights than the law abiding people.

It is a shame that the law is so expensive, but I blame the thieves that steal other peoples work Some of the comments I got on the facebook page were akin to go screw yourself, I'll post what I want.

Had they published a book and made a lot of money out of it, using your pictures as well as those that others that have posted their old photos of Gloucester, on Facebook and elsewhere, THEN you and they would have a case, so could form a group and take the publisher to court and IF you then won the verdict. Only then would you get compensation and your legal fees paid.

Unless, they upheld the verdict that because the old photos were published online, on websites such as Facebook, even though NOT by you and so the copyrights are still given away, then you're screwed.

The only ones that would make the most money out of the case, would be the lawyers, at the end of the day.

I complained about pictures being taken from Johns old gloucester site. I was told I could bogg off. It isnt just money

Well no, it's also the principle and people with principles are a rare, if not dying breed.

Indeed. I have always supported Gloucester as you know. I hope the groups are succesful, but for me, once bitten twice shy, and I must admit I'm not really a facebook fan

Eddie likes this

I tried Facebook a number of years ago and deleted it, quite soon afterwards, due to the amount of rubbish that you get from "people who want to be your friend", 99% of whom were unknown to me.

I found it to be akin to Sexually Transmitted Deseases (S.T.D). Not only are you having a relationship with your current partner,you are also given access to everyone they have ever known and vice versa.

I am afraid that I am quite wary as to whom I wish to converse with.

Nobby :hehe:

Eddie likes this

I first signed up to Facebook in 2003 and then closed the account within weeks, for same reason as Nobby's stated and only reopened my FB account, due to a friend in Australia wanting to chat through FB and I have been using it since.

However, If you get abuse from certain people, then you can block them, thus preventing anything they post, from appearing on your screen, also they won't be able to find you on there at all, but you also won't be able to find them either.

But it IS useful, especially for joining groups, such as Our History - Gloucester and sharing memories and photo's. Although, as Eddie has already quite rightly stated, they don't care about where the photos come from, or who owns the copyright to the pics, so long as they 're relevant to the FB pages subject, in this case Gloucester and made available for all to see.

Hmmnn, Facebook ? It's like Communism, they ALL want what you have and believe everything should be shared, but don't want to have to put in the hours and the work that you've put in and NONE of them want to pay for it, expecting it ALL for free.

Yes, that about sums up Facebook.