• Interests:family history /
    Elvis Presley /
    gardening .
    Enjoying Gloucester !
    With my lovely Wife !!

Posted 04 May 2010 - 01:54 PM

After watching Blitz Street, Channel 4 about the Blitz in WW2

i was wondering how many bombs fell on Gloucester and where do anyone know

i heard about one at Hucclecote Co op area before ??

any one know ?
"You let your head get to big, it'll break your neck"
--Elvis Presley, On Ego

"Dogs love you no matter how much you do or don't have. You can count on them more than you can count on most people - they don't leave you like some people do."
--Elvis Presley, On Dogs

"Computers may out think us one day, but as long as people got feelings, we'll be better than they are."
--Elvis Presley, On Computers

Change the way you see disability
http://www.creaturediscomforts.org/

#2 Eddie

Eddie

Viscount

• Admin
  • 14434 posts
  • Interests:Walking, reading,programming,my local area and my dog

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:03 PM

Not off hand, but here are a couple of links to start you off

http://www.glosfire....l_rc_blitz.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk.../a2059355.shtml

The Human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice.

The Gloucestershire Directory

Quality business Web Hosting

#3 GRACELAND

GRACELAND

Viscount

• Advanced Member
  • 3901 posts
    Elvis Presley /
    gardening .
    Enjoying Gloucester !
    With my lovely Wife !!

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:19 PM

Thanks Ed off to take a look
--Elvis Presley, On Ego

"Dogs love you no matter how much you do or don't have. You can count on them more than you can count on most people - they don't leave you like some people do."
--Elvis Presley, On Dogs

"Computers may out think us one day, but as long as people got feelings, we'll be better than they are."

#4 henry123

henry123

Knave

• Advanced Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 11:57 PM

I heard a story once, that planes were repaired near Gloucester during the war, and a repaired unarmed spitfire returning to its base came across a german bomber who dropped its load and high tailed it. the story goes that it eas was one of the rare times a bomb hit gloucester.
how true the story is ,i have no idea

#5 henry123

henry123

Knave

• Advanced Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:48 AM

from a sight i just found, apparently there were 9bombing raids over Gloucester. There were 150 casualties,25 lives lost.

http://www.glouceste...on/WWIIBox.aspx

#6 GRACELAND

GRACELAND

Viscount

• Advanced Member
  • 3901 posts
    Elvis Presley /
    gardening .
    Enjoying Gloucester !
    With my lovely Wife !!

Posted 05 May 2010 - 02:01 PM

Thanks !

Just trying to find out how Gloucester got hit
--Elvis Presley, On Ego

--Elvis Presley, On Dogs

#7 Nobby

Nobby

Viscount

• Advanced Member
  • 4078 posts
  • Interests:Fishing (Salt & Fresh) My Wife Ann, My Son's, Ransley 31 & Travis 29. Keeping Weight Off, Living a Good Life,Catching up with you guys on a regular basis.

Posted 05 May 2010 - 02:08 PM

I remember my Mum telling me of an Anti Aircraft Gun Station at the Cemetry end of Finlay Road, so there must have been a fair bit of action.

Nobby :hehe:

#8 Glawster -Born

Glawster -Born

Viscount

• Advanced Member
  • 2401 posts
  • Interests:Genealogy, Problem Solving, Internet, DIY ( Reading only things that are of interest to me ) Fixing things etc, etc.

Posted 05 May 2010 - 02:27 PM

Thanks !

Just trying to find out how Gloucester got hit

Er, it was German BOMBS that did it Graceland ! You see the Germans had these big planes, flew over to England and.......... well... gravity did the rest. ;)
If I knew how I know everything that I know, then there wouldn't be enough room in my head to know everything, that I know.

#9 GRACELAND

GRACELAND

Viscount

• Advanced Member
  • 3901 posts
    Elvis Presley /
    gardening .
    Enjoying Gloucester !
    With my lovely Wife !!

Posted 05 May 2010 - 02:37 PM

YEA YEA YEA

No i was trying to find out areas hit in Glos then :ices_rofl:
--Elvis Presley, On Ego

--Elvis Presley, On Dogs

#10 Eddie

Eddie

Viscount

• Admin
  • 14434 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 02:54 PM

This story has been contributed to the People's War by the BBC Learning Centre, Gloucester, on behalf of John Harris with his permission.
I was seven when war broke out and living in Churchdown, near Gloucester.
During the war I witnessed a German Junkers 88 bomber mistakenly bombing Hurrans garden nursery instead of the Rotol Aircraft factory.
Three bombs fell from the aircraft, one of 1,000 pounds, one smaller and one that didnít explode. The Germans also machine-gunned the area. I believe two people died at the nursery.

BBC

The Human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice.

#11 GRACELAND

GRACELAND

Viscount

• Advanced Member
  • 3901 posts
    Elvis Presley /
    gardening .
    Enjoying Gloucester !
    With my lovely Wife !!

Posted 05 May 2010 - 03:02 PM

Once again Eddie Your a star :icon_biggrin:
--Elvis Presley, On Ego

--Elvis Presley, On Dogs

#12 Glawster -Born

Glawster -Born

Viscount

• Advanced Member
  • 2401 posts
  • Interests:Genealogy, Problem Solving, Internet, DIY ( Reading only things that are of interest to me ) Fixing things etc, etc.

Posted 05 May 2010 - 03:26 PM

My mum recalls that two houses in Barton Street at the back of the India house were bombed and today a builders merchants is on the site where the houses stood. She also recalls that in 1939 after her 7th birthday in June that from July onwards, two houses just over the junction of Derby Road were bombed and that two NEW houses were built on the site by a Mr Dowty of Coney Hill Road.

My mum also recalls that in Millbrook Street, that several houses, or possibly a whole row were bombed, as the Germans were trying to hit the railway lines, but obviously missed, possibly killing several families in the street. She has a good memory for a soon to be 78 year old. :)

I recall an old postman once telling me that a house in Painswick Rd, just opposite Cemetry Road, but up a bit to the left, towards town was also bombed, which meant that a house number was missing on his round, suddenly jumping to the next house. ( I don't know if that's still the case, or whether house numbers were altered afterwards ? ).
If I knew how I know everything that I know, then there wouldn't be enough room in my head to know everything, that I know.

#13 stuart

stuart

Viscount

• Advanced Member
  • 634 posts
  • Interests:rugbyaround the world but mainly gloucester RFC, but i enjoy most all sports. I also enjoy reading history ( British)....

Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:57 PM

I heard that one had dropped where the motor registry office is or was next to the park....stu

#14 AlexMcKee

AlexMcKee

Viscount

• Advanced Member
  • 1598 posts
  • Interests:Politics, Web Design, Hiking, Languages

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:36 AM

My great-uncle, Jim Wyatt, was a fire-fighter at the Gloster Aircraft Company. As you can see on that link he recalls bombs falling at Montpellier, Napier Street and of course at the Gloster factory in Brockworth.

Gloucester was surprisingly important during WW2. The Cathedral was host to the Coronation throne and therefore also of the Stone of Scone. The Gloster works at Brockworth, Haresfield and Moreton Valence were working on the top-secret jet engine project and eventually the first allied jet fighter, the Gloucester Meteor, was tested at these sites.
Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases.

#15 doughnut

doughnut

Viscount

• Advanced Member
  • 4071 posts
  • Interests:Boats, Fishing and Photography

Posted 06 May 2010 - 07:29 AM

I know the old Elim Church was bombed out. I don't know where that stood at the time. I have seen a picture and report from the Citizen and have a copy somewhere. I'll try to find it and post it later on. I knew the old minister, Leon Quest who used to live in Tuffley when I was in Town.

It would sound like the story told earlier in the thread. It was on a raid and suddenly set upon by a fighter. It jettisoned it's bombs, causing a direct hit on a house across the road from the church. I know that at least one died in the house. Although the church was destroyed and there was a ladies meeting taking place, no one was injured. I'll try to find the report.
Over and Out from Captain Doughnut, the dude from the South

#16 GRACELAND

GRACELAND

Viscount

• Advanced Member
  • 3901 posts
    Elvis Presley /
    gardening .
    Enjoying Gloucester !
    With my lovely Wife !!

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:19 PM

doughnut thanks and all
--Elvis Presley, On Ego

--Elvis Presley, On Dogs

#17 doughnut

doughnut

Viscount

• Advanced Member
  • 4071 posts
  • Interests:Boats, Fishing and Photography

Posted 06 May 2010 - 06:51 PM

Found the photo, but cannot find the old clipping from the Citizen. So I don't know where the church building was. Leon Quest told me that he believed it was a miracle. The Ladies meeting was in progress, children were there with their mothers. He heard the planes and went to see what was happening. He actually saw the bombs fall. Rushed in and shouted for everyone to get under the pews. When the bomb exploded, all the walls except one fell, the one that didn't fall, he physically held (propped)up. The women and children got out then he let go and ran, the wall smashed down behind him.

He said they brushed glass out of the hair of the ladies and children, but no one was hurt or cut. The photo, if I remember correctly was the first Sunday afterwards.

During my time in Gloucester he was delighted to meet up with some of the women and the children, on the site where the church stood. I remember it being in the Citizen but don't have a copy of that. If you delve into the archives of the paper, I'm sure you will find out more.

Attached Images

• Gloucester Church Bombed.jpg

Over and Out from Captain Doughnut, the dude from the South

#18 Eddie

Eddie

Viscount

• Admin
  • 14434 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 07:24 AM

This has been a fascinating thread. I am seeing relatives weeekend, so I'll pick their memories

#19 Nobby

Nobby

Viscount

• Advanced Member
  • 4078 posts
  • Interests:Fishing (Salt & Fresh) My Wife Ann, My Son's, Ransley 31 & Travis 29. Keeping Weight Off, Living a Good Life,Catching up with you guys on a regular basis.

Posted 07 May 2010 - 12:24 PM

This has been a fascinating thread.

Yes, I have to agree with you Eddie, even having been in OZ for 34 years I am amazed how much history I have gleaned from the BB's.

Keep up the good work and that includes everyone.

Nobby :hehe:

#20 GRACELAND

GRACELAND

Viscount

• Advanced Member
  • 3901 posts
    Elvis Presley /
    gardening .
    Enjoying Gloucester !
    With my lovely Wife !!

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:23 PM

Do anyone know about the Hucclecote one ???
--Elvis Presley, On Ego

--Elvis Presley, On Dogs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users