5 replies to this topic

#1 Eddie

Eddie

Viscount

• Admin
  • 14230 posts
  • Interests:Walking, reading,programming,my local area and my dog

Posted 15 November 2009 - 11:37 AM

Health and safety inspectors are to be given unprecedented access to family homes to ensure that parents are protecting their children from household accidents.

New guidance drawn up at the request of the Department of Health urges councils and other public sector bodies to “collect data” on properties where children are thought to be at “greatest risk of unintentional injury”.

Council staff will then be tasked with overseeing the installation of safety devices in homes, including smoke alarms, stair gates, hot water temperature restrictors, oven guards and window and door locks.

The draft guidance by a committee at the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (Nice) has been criticised as intrusive and further evidence of the “creeping nanny state”.

Until now, councils have made only a limited number of home inspections to check on building work and in extreme cases where the state of a house is thought to pose a serious risk to public health.

Nice also recommends the creation of a new government database to allow GPs, midwives and other officials who visit homes to log health and safety concerns they spot.

The guidance aims to “encourage all practitioners who visit families and carers with children and young people aged under 15 to provide home safety advice and, where necessary, conduct a home risk assessment”. It continues: “If possible, they should supply and install home safety equipment.”

The proposals have been put out to consultation and, if approved, will be implemented next year.

Matthew Elliott, of the TaxPayers’ Alliance, said: “It is a huge intervention into family life which will be counter-productive.

“Good parents will feel the intrusion of the state in their homes and bad parents will now have someone else to blame if they don’t bring up their children in a sensible, safe environment

The Times

I now thank god daily that my children are now grown up.

The Human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice.

The Gloucestershire Directory

Quality business Web Hosting

#2 Glawster -Born

Glawster -Born

Viscount

• Advanced Member
  • 2401 posts
  • Interests:Genealogy, Problem Solving, Internet, DIY ( Reading only things that are of interest to me ) Fixing things etc, etc.

Posted 15 November 2009 - 01:09 PM

What about grandparents homes ? Are they going to inspect them too, in case they are not child safe, when the grandchildren are visiting ?
If I knew how I know everything that I know, then there wouldn't be enough room in my head to know everything, that I know.

#3 Poppy P

Poppy P

Viscount

• Advanced Member
  • 1605 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 07:11 PM

We had 2 visits when junior was small. One was (I think?), something to do with Health Visitors. She made comments about where we kept the kitchen knife block and suggested that we dug up and destroyed one of the plants we had in the garden. We didn't really move the knives (just pushed them further back)and the plant has since been removed, but not because she said! Also had a Fire Officer who checked what we had in the way of smoke alarms and added another one in - free of charge!

I didn't find it invasive, just an extra pair of eyes to look at the safety measures we'd taken to safeguard our child. Some suggestions we acted on, others were totally impractical, but nonetheless made us more aware of potential problems.

“A lie can travel halfway round the world while the truth is putting on its shoes”. Mark Twain

#4 Reg Cubit

Reg Cubit

Viscount

• Advanced Member
  • 2405 posts
  • Interests:Football coach

Posted 15 November 2009 - 09:01 PM

Simple answer, don't let them in!!

#5 Eddie

Eddie

Viscount

• Admin
  • 14230 posts
  • Interests:Walking, reading,programming,my local area and my dog

Posted 16 November 2009 - 08:44 AM

Simple answer, don't let them in!!

In which case they arrest you

The Human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice.

The Gloucestershire Directory

Quality business Web Hosting

#6 Reg Cubit

Reg Cubit

Viscount

• Advanced Member
  • 2405 posts
  • Interests:Football coach

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:29 PM

Council staff have no power of arrest, and the only way you could be arrested by Police would be if you committed some form of public order offence, which you can't do in your own home; assault someboby, shutting a door doesn't constitute an assault unless you shut it on them, or they have a warrant to enter the property which includes a power of arrest on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users