8 replies to this topic

#1 Eddie

Eddie

Viscount

• Admin
  • 14610 posts
  • Interests:Walking, reading,programming,my local area and my dog

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:26 AM

Waste ice cream could be used to provide heating and lighting at one of Gloucester's biggest employers.

Unilever, which owns Walls ice cream, has applied for permission to build an anaerobic digester on its factory site in Barnwood.

The company wants to use waste, hosed down from the machines, to create up to two and a half megawatts of heat and power to fuel a generator.

Unilever makes about six million ice creams a day at the Barnwood factory.

http://news.bbc.co.u...ire/8033183.stm

That sounds a clever idea

The Human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice.

The Gloucestershire Directory

Quality business Web Hosting

#2 doughnut

doughnut

Viscount

• Advanced Member
  • 4074 posts
  • Interests:Boats, Fishing and Photography

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:55 AM

Fancy wasting all that ice cream though. Just to think there are some of us who NEED that daily fix!
Over and Out from Captain Doughnut, the dude from the South

#3 Poppy P

Poppy P

Viscount

• Advanced Member
  • 1606 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 11:44 AM

Unilever makes about six million ice creams a day at the Barnwood factory.

That's amazing when you look at how much of the site they have sold off in recent years. :o
“A lie can travel halfway round the world while the truth is putting on its shoes”. Mark Twain

#4 GRACELAND

GRACELAND

Viscount

• Advanced Member
  • 3906 posts
  • Interests:family history /
    Elvis Presley /
    gardening .
    Enjoying Gloucester !
    With my lovely Wife !!

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:59 PM

when i was working there many years ago on cornetos and viennetta washing down the machine did leave alot going on floor from out of the pipes etc all going down the drain , yes it would be a very good idea to use this in some way
"You let your head get to big, it'll break your neck"
--Elvis Presley, On Ego

"Dogs love you no matter how much you do or don't have. You can count on them more than you can count on most people - they don't leave you like some people do."
--Elvis Presley, On Dogs

"Computers may out think us one day, but as long as people got feelings, we'll be better than they are."
--Elvis Presley, On Computers

Change the way you see disability
http://www.creaturediscomforts.org/

#5 Orion

Orion

Viscount

• Admin
  • 3915 posts
  • Interests:Art, Local History and My Family.

Posted 05 May 2009 - 03:41 PM

I worked at Walls for one night back in the 60s. :blush: I was filling tins with ice cream and couldn't stand the noise so didn't go back. I was so pleased to see the 6am workers arrive and got out as fast as I could.

#6 GRACELAND

GRACELAND

Viscount

• Advanced Member
  • 3906 posts
  • Interests:family history /
    Elvis Presley /
    gardening .
    Enjoying Gloucester !
    With my lovely Wife !!

Posted 05 May 2009 - 03:43 PM

Working up stairs i was there about 6 years , hard work though Wet and cold in the freezers as well
"You let your head get to big, it'll break your neck"
--Elvis Presley, On Ego

"Dogs love you no matter how much you do or don't have. You can count on them more than you can count on most people - they don't leave you like some people do."
--Elvis Presley, On Dogs

"Computers may out think us one day, but as long as people got feelings, we'll be better than they are."
--Elvis Presley, On Computers

Change the way you see disability
http://www.creaturediscomforts.org/

#7 doughnut

doughnut

Viscount

• Advanced Member
  • 4074 posts
  • Interests:Boats, Fishing and Photography

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:34 PM

I worked at Walls for one night back in the 60s. :blush: I was filling tins with ice cream

Filling tins with ice cream... filling doughnuts with jam... filling baths with water then pushing me in. You mis-spent youth trained you well for later misdeeds. In that one night at Walls, did you eat any? Or could it have been that they asked you not to return, because of your eating habits?
Over and Out from Captain Doughnut, the dude from the South

#8 Orion

Orion

Viscount

• Admin
  • 3915 posts
  • Interests:Art, Local History and My Family.

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:07 PM

Filling the tin bath and pushing you in it, Doughnut, was much more preferable than the other little jobs I've had. But wait... There was a slight satisfaction to over filling jam doughnuts so they burst when someone bit into them. :lol:

I couldn't have any of the ice cream I was putting in tins because it wasn't frozen. And anyway, after seeing the stuff for hours I didn't fancy any at all. I just couldn't wait for the shift to finish.
The crazy thing was, when it came to the lunch break (2am) they wanted 3d for ice cream. Well I wasn't going to spend that sort of cash and besides, it could have come out of a tin I filled. :huh:

#9 Eddie

Eddie

Viscount

• Admin
  • 14610 posts
  • Interests:Walking, reading,programming,my local area and my dog

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:04 AM

Despite their unfortunate employment record ( fancy employing Orion nahgnah ) this scheme has been given the go ahead

A proposal to create renewable energy from waste ice cream at the Walls factory in Gloucester has been given the go-ahead.

At a council meeting on Tuesday evening Unilever, which owns Walls, got backing from planners to build an anaerobic digester at its Barnwood site.

The digester breaks down material which degrades giving off a mixture mainly of methane and carbon dioxide.

This can then be burned to generate heat and electricity.

Once it is up and running the generator will be able to provide enough electricity for about 400 households.

http://news.bbc.co.u...ire/8035287.stm

The Human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice.

The Gloucestershire Directory

Quality business Web Hosting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users