Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AlexMcKee

New Lidl on Eastern Avenue

6 posts in this topic

Went in to the new Lidl store on Eastern Avenue this evening. Not overly impressed, bread was stale and dubious looking and the store was dirty - the store has only been open 4 days! The stock seemed a bit lost in the space - quite a large store. Some unfriendly staff, had to wait while one member of staff chucked a load of boxes around an aisle and the lady at the checkout didn't speak except to tell us the total. No "hello" or "goodbye" even.

I particularly wanted to see if they had any parsnips in stock, it seems there's no parsnips to be had anywhere at the moment (Aldi Bristol Road, Morrisons Abbeydale, Tesco Painswick Road and Lidl Eastern Avenue all have none). So given that other stores don't seem to have any parsnips I'll give them a pass on that one. 

I keep meaning to pop in myself, maybe I'll brave the chill and cycle over today. The staff always seemed to be a bit business like, and uninclined to 'waste' time on pleasantries.

I hadn't heard about parsnips before, but there's quite a scarcity of vegetables across Europe at the moment. The lack of courgettes was heavily riffed on 'The News Quiz'. And after the councils tried so hard to build over the allotments...

We use our local Lidl in Cinderford a lot. They don't spend money on making the shop look nice but their prices are amazing. They also use a lot of local suppliers. Some examples are Welsh butter for 89p and chicken from forest suppliers that are incredibly cheap. They are also good for basics like sugar at lower prices than anywhere else we have tried

I've shopped at Lidl for years (since 2006 or earlier even) so I know Lidl is often excellent. Usually the vegetables are in good supply and high quality.

The old store was always clean. Dowdy, but clean. The staff have indeed been a little less friendly than in some other stores - unsurprising, I know they work long hours and are expected to do many duties but I've never before felt they were actually unfriendly.

Joe, I know about the veg shortage due to the weather in Spain, Italy etc. but it seems surprising that we're importing parsnips! :) 

I did manage to get some parsnips in the end - Sainsbury's at Gloucester Quays has a really well stocked vegetable section.

We called into Lidl at Cinderford and they had loads of parsnips:D . Far too many supermarkets import too many vegetables. It's a shame we don't support our Farmers.

I did pop in on Sunday, after spending several minutes looking for the bike racks, which were pretty well hidden at the back of the car park...

It was too busy to think about queuing, and there was no 'must buy' item, so I will visit again a bit later, during the week.

IMG_20170212_142455[1].jpg

IMG_20170212_142511[1].jpg